You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to understand how masking works in Affinity Designer, but I just can't wrap my head around it. 

In the attached image, I have two things: a logo and a grunge image. I want to use the grunge to apply a distress effect on the logo. I know the way to do this has something to do with dragging one of them inside the other (not sure which one though), with a mask layer thrown in there somewhere.... 

Most things are pretty intuitive in AD, but how masking works just doesn't make sense to me. Can someone help me out, please?

post-62035-0-35783700-1497387747_thumb.png

You will need to convert the group to a single curves object. In this case, ungroup, and with all selected, use the boolean combine. Load the image. Select the image, and drag it in the layer panel till is is just to the right of the curves layer. You will see a faint yellow line just under the curves layer, and slightly to the right. The image is then nested within the curves area, and only what is within the curves shows.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for the reply. I did what you suggested but it doesn't provide the "distress" effect I need. However, I did learn some substantial things from your reply, so I do appreciate it :)

Perhaps I was awry in my original question. Is masking is not what is needed here? I want the logo color and fill to remain, but to be lightly subtracted from, according to where the dark values are in my grunge image. 

This video shows what I'm going for, but it's done in Photoshop.

Ahh, I see. I thought you were asking how to use the logo vectors as a mask for the pixels noise. Opposite was what you wanted. Select the pixel layer. Following the vid, change the pixels to grayscale or black and white. There are several layer adjustment controls that will do this. Black and white, Threshold, saturation among them. Then use the command "Layer/Rasterize to mask." Drag the mask layer icon in the layers panel to just right of the logo level icon. A small bar to the right of the icon will appear, indicating that the rasterized mask will bee added to the vector components.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet