You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste into Selection?

Hi, 

I see that I can make a selection in one rasterized image, copy to pasteboard, then paste that selection into a second image after backing out of one image and loaded the second. 

But, is it possible to paste into selection? 

I can see via the tutorial that you can place an image into a selection, but I can't see how you can place a pasted selection, into another selection.

• Staff

Hi Skiphunt,

Unfortunately it looks as though Paste Inside isn't possible within the iPad version. I will move this post to the Feature Requests section.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Ah! There is now an iPad section available.

I can see via the tutorial that you can place an image into a selection, but I can't see how you can place a pasted selection, into another selection.

What is the name of the video tutorial in which you saw this? I was checking the Official Affinity Photo video tutorials, but I couldn't find anything on this. This sounds very useful.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi PeggyIn717,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure i understood your question. If you want to paste a layer or selection from one document into another, tap the ellipsis icon (three dots) on the top of the interface then select Pasteboard ▸ Copy to copy the content to the clipboard. Then open the second document, tap the ellipsis icon (three dots) again and select Pasteboard ▸ Paste. Am i missing something?

@skiphunt,

To paste inside, copy the element you want to the clipboard then with the layer/object you want to paste inside selected, tap the ellipsis icon (Photo Persona) and select Pasteboard ▸ Paste Inside.

Thanx, unfortunately that is not the info I am seeking.  I am not looking to paste from one AP document to another AP document.  I am trying to paste an image I made in Keynote into a new AP document.  That image was copied to the iPad clipboard.  I can paste into Pixelmator & other apps, however, I cannot paste the same image into an AP document.  Does that clarify my question?

Thanx, unfortunately that is not the info I am seeking.  I am not looking to paste from one AP document to another AP document.  I am trying to paste an image I made in Keynote into a new AP document.  That image was copied to the iPad clipboard.  I can paste into Pixelmator & other apps, however, I cannot paste the same image into an AP document.  Does that clarify my question?

Since it's just the image, I'm not sure, but you can export a Keynote file as a PDF, and Affinity can open PDF files. Copy the image from there.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/14/2019 at 5:52 AM, Mollyc said:

So, straight from the horse's mouth!! From Affinity:
"Unfortunately Affinity Photo doesn't support pasting inside a selection, as in Photoshop."
Kinda not impressed by the omittance of a technique that ought to be so standard.

It's really baffling and frustrating how things that were so easy and intuitive in Photoshop either can't be done, or have roundabout convoluted steps to accomplish.     I don't understand some of the decisions that have been made in development thus far but every time I want to do something it's like Affinity is daring me to just go back to Photoshop for the hell of it.