You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

I've tried to search this topic, but couldn't quite find it. Although I think it should exist somewhere:

Sometimes (not always) when expanding a stroke, the vector lines change and straight lines bend. Has anyone else had this happen? I've attached an example with before and after. Pay attention to the upper line after expanding the stroke.

It always requires additional touch up to straighten the lines and can get quite annyoing if there are multiple cases of this happening ;)

post-60354-0-12995600-1497370595_thumb.png

post-60354-0-50687300-1497370625_thumb.png

macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)

Affinity Designer 1.5.5

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

5 months since I've filed this report. As of right now it has been become absolutely unusable. Whereas earlier it only affected straight lines and even though incredibly annoying, I could work around it. Now it affects curves as well, which means there is no workaround and I can't use it.

How can one of the most important features of the app remain unfixed for so long?

Screenshot 2017-11-17 10.52.34.png

Screenshot 2017-11-17 10.52.44.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi raphael_l,

I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. We have made a few changes here in order to reduce the number of nodes created when strokes are expanded. This however had the side effect of distorting the expanded strokes more than what was happening originally in particular on small objects. The only way to fix the expand stroke command is reviewing/rewriting the whole code pertaining to this function which is not as simple as it may look at first. The dev team is well aware of this issue which has been reported quite a few times in other threads too but they have been quite busy working on other things and didn't have yet time to look into it. All this to say we have not forgotten these problems as do hope to fix them as soon as time/plans permit.

Meanwhile you may want to consider create the icons at a considerable larger scale than usual since the the expand stroke command is way more precise with large objects and then scale them down at the end (the same factor). I know it's not an ideal solution (and certainly not for designing icons) but as far as i know it's the only way to work around these issues.