You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How I can understand if there is a pantone color?

Palettes and swatches are stupid in AD. Really, they need a total and complete remake.

If you have a vector logo in import it into a current document, double-click on it to open it in another window. What I do then is to copy it and paste it back into the document and get rid of the embedded document. That too is a dumb workflow--it out to be an option as to whether one keeps a placed image as embedded, linked or brought into the document as an editable thing, or at least have a menu or right-click option to convert it from an embedded document.

If, like in the example below, the logo was text and is a single text string with different Pantone colors, there is no way to get both colors into a palette. Each color has to be selected and added individually. See? Dumb.

In any case, this is only if you want to make sure what the colors are and/or need/want to reuse those express colors. If you are going to convert them to CMYK, you can just do so at PDF creation and make sure that the profile you are using has the checkbox for Honor Spot Color (in the dialog once the More button has been pressed). And if the export is using the CMYK color model then they are converted from spot color to CMYK (or whatever color model you are using).

post-255-0-22349000-1497370781_thumb.png

I think you may be getting confused with Pantone spot colours and Pantone process colours

If you set a Pantone process colour it is CMYK and prints in 4 colours.

The difference is, if you set it to be a spot Pantone colour it will appear on a separate plate and will only appear in that particular colour if the printers uses the right colour ink when printing.

Obviously, if the colour comes in as a spot colour you will need to change it. I don't have Designer but it should be in the palette or swatches somewhere.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

t if I export a pdf with the Honor Spot Color and I open the pdf with AD (1.5.5), the colors are always pantone and not CMYK (see screenshots)

Yes, that is right. If you tell it to honor spot color you are telling it to keep the spot color as a spot color.

If you turn that off, it should convert it to CMYK.

Yes, that is right. If you tell it to honor spot color you are telling it to keep the spot color as a spot color.

If you turn that off, it should convert it to CMYK.

Right, thank you for your explanation. If I uncheck the "Honor Spot Color" (sorry, my english is not so good) and I open the resulted pdf with AD all the colors are CMYK.

Thank's again

Last question, if I rasterize the logos the pantone colors are converted to CMYK?

Well, it should depend on what colour mode you are in when you do it. If you are working in RGB it should rasterize it to RGB although it would convert the file from RGB to CMYK when you finally output it.

If you are in CMYK it should just turn it into CMYK. At least that's how it should work. Better to work in CMYK.

@ MikeW: thank you for your answer, but if I export a pdf with the Honor Spot Color and I open the pdf with AD (1.5.5), the colors are always pantone and not CMYK (see screenshots)

First, you shouldn't be checking PDFs in AD or any other vector editing application...but be that as it may...I wrote to uncheck it.

With Honor spot color checked:

post-255-0-70199200-1497444821_thumb.png

With Honor spot color unchecked:

post-255-0-30378500-1497444861_thumb.png

Mike

i see now, when the pdf is placed i get 68 different colors.

and when opend there are no spot colors, and panatone number is only visible when switching to the colour tab.

but not on all items in the pdf.

i see your point now, it is not working

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Now, when opened instead of placed, those file-named colors are really spot colors. If one exports to pdf and honor spot colors is checked, the real spot color names are used.

But in the design surface, the way it works is unacceptable. But then again, I think that Serif has overly engineered how swatches should work anyway. They don't work in an efficient manner and have been programmed to death. It's a system that only a programmer could love.

If Serif used AD day in and day out for real production work on a real production schedule, I would hope they would see the problem and rectify it. Likely it will be defended to death.

This is what one gets importing/placing the same PDF in QXP--and every other "Professional" application that deserves the title.

post-255-0-03478900-1497452120_thumb.png

Doesn't matter if it is AI, ID CD or what have you. Instant, properly named swatches. None of this 42 options, hoops to jump through, no bazillion swatches created from what should be a simple act. Straight forward swatches. So easy a Caveman could do it.

Mike