Tazintosh

Global Colors don't behave as "global" on gradients

Hi folks,

I've notice that beside what the documentation says, Global Colors are not acting as global when used with gradients.

Since a picture movie worth thousand of words, here is it:

GlobalColorDoNotWorkOnGradient.mov

• Create two new global colors
  • Create a new shape with a gradient fill
  • Set both colors of the gradient to your previously created global colors
  • Edit any of the two global colors used in this gradient

--> The gradient fill won't update to reflect the edited global color.

I sadly have to admit this is insanely contra productive :(

Cheers,

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

Hi Tazintosh

A gradient does update when you edit a global colour. The issue in your video is that applying the swatch using the fill flyout from the context toolbar registering them as normal swatches instead of global colours. If you use the Swatches panels itself to apply the global colour to each gradient stop, updating the global colour will also update the gradient

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris_K

Thank you for the answer, and the fix!

With your explanation, I've been able to apply effectively global colors to my gradient stops, but looks like I must first select the gradient tool (so gradient stops appears over the shape) and I set my color by selecting the stops from here.

I've not found a way to set a global color from the context toolbar. Even if I could understand that the actual behavior doesn't allow this (based on your explanation), does it make sense in a usability perspective? Why preventing this the user to use global color the way I described it?

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, Chris_K said:

Hi Tazintosh

A gradient does update when you edit a global colour. The issue in your video is that applying the swatch using the fill flyout from the context toolbar registering them as normal swatches instead of global colours. If you use the Swatches panels itself to apply the global colour to each gradient stop, updating the global colour will also update the gradient

Cheers

This is super counter intuitive. I was just searching the forum in order to see if global colours in a gradient were unsupported, or if anyone had reported this as a bug... :(