You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The thing is, when I'm designing, I don't want to have to be setting this attribute on every object I draw, I mean that's just nuts! I want to get on with the job of designing and drawing and export to hard edged pixels when I need to. The level of detail anti-aliasing control is wonderful for people who are designing pixel-based designs from the get go. My purpose is to create clean edged designs with strict colour counts for screen-printing with the caveat, that the designs may be printed with anti-aliasing as well depending on the product and method of printing required. Thanks for reading and taking on board all my comments and niggles. It may not sound like it, but I love Affinity and am looking forward to updates and upgrades! :)

• 1 month later...

Just chiming in to say that I'd also like to see an option to disable anti-aliasing across the board. The coverage feature is very handy for tweaking the look of the AA. But when working with certain low-res art styles I need to be able to just turn it off altogether.

Having to toggle it manually per object is tiresome; when quickly iterating during the drawing phase I want to just be creative and not have apply a specific setting or preset all the time.

Perhaps the coverage could be stored with the default settings when using the "Synchronise" button?

I hear ya, Synaptic.... As a temporary workaround, keep in mind one does not need to apply the anti-alias to each object. Just design using the Force Pixel alignment option and other appropriate settings in the snap window and when you're done, simply Select All and then apply a flat Anti-alias ramp.

Also, I would personally use a Square cut-off at the 50% mark, for a more realistic and accurate conversion to anti-alias, rather than simply a flat line at 0% or 100%....

The thing is, when I'm designing, I don't want to have to be setting this attribute on every object I draw, I mean that's just nuts! I want to get on with the job of designing and drawing and export to hard edged pixels when I need to. The level of detail anti-aliasing control is wonderful for people who are designing pixel-based designs from the get go. My purpose is to create clean edged designs with strict colour counts for screen-printing with the caveat, that the designs may be printed with anti-aliasing as well depending on the product and method of printing required. Thanks for reading and taking on board all my comments and niggles. It may not sound like it, but I love Affinity and am looking forward to updates and upgrades! :)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 months later...

I looked for that quite a while until I found the dialog to set the "coverage map". The help does not list it.

In case somebody else is also looking for it, that dialog is visible after click on the gear-wheel in the layer list where you can also select mix mode and opacity.

Maybe this can be also added to the context drop down menu of the layer (right mouse button / ctrl+click).

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to get this to behave more like the pixel tool? I personally would love it if there was an option for paths to be rendered with a similar algorithm. Playing with the coverage-map curves is cool for certain effects but not great for controlled pixel-art.

post-25937-0-26399200-1454067043_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to resuscitate this topic, but I've recently tried to use Affinity Designer for a Pixel Art project again, and it feels like there are still issues preventing this feature from being used.

I'm using coverage maps to create a sharp transition, which seems to work just fine... until you start overlapping objects. In this example here, the brown shape is nested inside the dark green shape, and whenever their edges "touch", antialiased pixels are created. I've also set view quality to nearest neighbor, but no luck.

antialias_issue.gif

Affinity Designer would be so awesome for this kind of task, specially because it so seamlessly blends pixel and vector workflows. But for now, the worlds of vectors and pixels shall remain separated, it looks like. :-(

Leo.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For me either on AP or AD, the reason i don't do my pixel art in them is because you cant turn AA off, so for instance if i create a circle shape or a line shape depending. Or any of the other examples people mentioned it will go the AA route and ruin it.
Currently i use Clip Studio Paint for Pixel work, which has shape tools and works great all in all. I hope affinity implements a proper pixel toolset/way to draw anything in the software without AA.(or as people noted, with many AA options, including off)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

+1 Really would like an easy way to disable antialiasing everywhere.

Would like to add that sense I keep all my objects in groups it is really hard to apply the map settings to a large number of things as I can not apply them to groups nor select all objects as it selects them as groups and not sub-objects so I have to rather painfully go through each group of object to apply the map settings.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I want to add my support for this. My most common use case is to export raster print versions of a logo. For logos (and similar hard-edged graphics) antialiasing just makes them print with a fuzzy edge, so I always export high-res raster logos with no antialiasing. This is easy to do with Adobe software, but I've yet to find a simple way to accomplish the same thing with Affinity software. Adjusting a 'coverage map' graph on individual objects is crazy complexity for replacing such a simple feature, and it didn't work predictably for me anyway.

Please, can we just have an antialiasing check box in the export settings?

• 4 months later...

Any updates in 1.8.1 on this issue?

When I export as transparent png should I go for Resample as "Nearest Neighbour" to get closer to solving the issue?

I see that Teespring is recommening people to export with "Nearest Neighbour" (Hard edges) in Illustrartor. + turning antialiasing off (None).

Or is the simplest way just to use GIMP for this last stage?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...