You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ipad app guide

Hello Ladies & Gents

I'm new here (but not new to photography and editing apps.)

I downloaded Affinty for Ipad and am running it on a Air 2.

I have to say it looks awesome but I';m constantly running into obstacles. For example, I'm trying to 'erase' blemishes but it erases back to 'background' ad I cant work out why it wont do what i want it to do. I realise its early and I may find out in due course - bit I also cant find any instruction anywhere.

does anyone know of an Affinty for Ipad guide book or something? Say, an ebook?

I want to make the best use of this but its frustrating not being able to find 'how to's' without time consuming trial and error.

Thanks

Roger

• Staff

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forums.

I recommend having a look at our tutorials for Affinity Photo for iPad, the one for Inpainting may benefit you more than the others. We don't have any digital guides available, the app does have built in help, from the document selection screen tap the Question mark in the top right.

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forums.

I recommend having a look at our tutorials for Affinity Photo for iPad, the one for Inpainting may benefit you more than the others. We don't have any digital guides available, the app does have built in help, from the document selection screen tap the Question mark in the top right.

Brilliant. Thanks very much Lee.

The tutorials are helpful, but there's so much in this app that is left unexplained that it's a high hurdle to overcome. Some sort of user guide is necessary. 

For instance, in the Develop Persona, what's the difference between Brightness and Exposure? They seem to have almost identical effects. 

On the Command Menu, what does Sync Before, Sync After, and Swap Before/After do?

I've been a Photoshop user for 20 years now, and have used Lightroom as long as it has been around. But much of what I encounter using Affinity Photo is an utter mystery to me. I can't be the only one baffled by much the interface.

Brightness and Exposure are also present in Lightroom and Photoshop (with similar meanings), although maybe not as obvious?

For a short explanation, see: https://digital-photography-school.com/exposure-vs-brightness-vs-fill-light/

Completely inaccurate summary: exposure brightens everything, brightness has more effect on the midtones.

I suspect image editing is getting to the stage where there are so many controls we can't learn (or at least remember and use) everything.

I don't yet have an iPad, but from the Windows help for Affinity Photo (I think the iPad has similar help built in, but I don't know how it compares):

• Sync Before—updates the 'Before' view using the settings applied in the 'After' view.
  • Sync After—removes all the settings applied in the 'After' view to return the image to the 'Before' view.
  • Swap—switches the applied settings of the 'Before' and 'After' views.

So, as I understand it, somewhat like Undo/Redo but using side-by-side images to compare results.

These also exist in Lightroom as graphical icons down the bottom: https://i0.wp.com/digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/brightness_step2.jpg

@obtusity,

Just curious but what help topic has those Sync/Swap explanations? I can't find anything like that in Mac help ... but that doesn't mean much given how poorly searching Affinity help works.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

@woodworks

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's a Help file available in the iPad version as well. Tap the question mark icon on the top right in Affinity Photo Welcome Screen. Let us know if there's something missing/lacking.

@R C-R,

Go to Affinity Photo Help ▸ Workspace ▸ Toolbar (scroll down a little).

@R C-R,

Go to Affinity Photo Help ▸ Workspace ▸ Toolbar (scroll down a little).

Thanks MEB! I have no idea why but searching Mac help on any combination of sync, before, after, and/or swap does not show me the Toolbar help page in the results.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R, I searched for sync, and got 2 results

• Developing a raw image
  • Toolbar

The sync and swap explanations (and icons) were listed under both (on pages with a range of other stuff as well).

Some quick search testing:  for me, on Windows, sync after and sync before also seem to work - hmm, so does after after AND sync (Could it be the help system supports Boolean operators? Be still my beating heart  :wub:  - unless it's also searching for the word and :lol:  - as some search engines do :rolleyes: - or and is a search stopword, and thus ignored, which is also a known behaviour in some search engines).

For me (Mac  & AP specs below in my sig) syncsync after, & sync before all produce "Affinity Photo Help (0)" in the search results -- in other words, zero results. I also tried various combinations with an AND operator -- also zero results.  :(

I did a little reading in Apple's Indexing Your Help Book developer topic, & a little browsing of the html headers of some of the US English pages, but nothing obvious jumped out at me for why I get zero search results. I did note there are not many keyword tags in the headers, but according to the Apple doc, they should be used only for synonyms & common misspellings -- words that appear in the help topic text are supposedly automatically indexed.

Affinity Photo