Designer 1.5.5:

I have two identical Cinema screens (2560x1600(*)) attached to my 2016 Macbook Pro (the one with USB-C sockets only).

If any of the panels of Designer are placed on the second screen (e.g. Transform, Snapping, …) then opening a document or creating a new one puts the document window on the second screen.

The document window should open on the screen that has the macOS menu bar.

Robert.

(*) I don't think the screens are relevant, but these are the old Cinema displays that have 2560x1600 pixels, NOT the more recent and smaller ones of 2560x1440 pixels)

Robert

(Affinity Designer—Affinity Photo—LiveCode—Mac OS X various)

Hi Robert

Unfortunately I have not been able to replicate this (although I am only using the single external monitor connected to a iMac 2015) . Is it any specific panels you are moving on to the other monitors and is the app in windowed or separated mode? By default the document window should open on whichever monitor it was last placed on when the app was closed and remember it's position

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I'm going to join in on this thread, since it's a similar "not respecting menu bar problem"

To reproduce:

1. Have a two monitor setup. Have the mac showing just ONE menu bar ( I think it's the separate spaces setting )

2. Have the main affinity interface in separated mode on the main monitor. The one with the menu bar.

3. Create a new view and move this one to the second monitor. ( I work with this view as my overall, and all the detail work in the main monitor with all the tools )

4. Every time I export or save, the second view is the one that gets focus. So any future open, save or export dialogs appear on the second monitor instead of the working one.

I'm getting used to constantly re-tapping the original view before doing any OS work, but it's definitely a problem for fast workflows.

Hi Robert

Unfortunately I have not been able to replicate this (although I am only using the single external monitor connected to a iMac 2015) . Is it any specific panels you are moving on to the other monitors and is the app in windowed or separated mode? By default the document window should open on whichever monitor it was last placed on when the app was closed and remember it's position

Cheers

("its" position  ;-)

Yes I should have been a little more explicit.  It happens when I create a new document (File→New).

(1) the two monitors are side by side and the laptop's lid is closed, its screen is not used at all.

(2) the menu bar appears on only one of the monitors.

(4) I always work in separated mode.

It  has now become erratic:  the new document dialog pops up sometimes on one, sometimes on the other monitor, the new document window too shows up sometimes on one, sometimes on the other.  But it seems that if all panels are on the main monitor then everything happens there.

Really annoying these little bugs…

Separated mode also does not seem to work at all in Affinity Photo on my machine, and that's a real nuisance.  I've re-installed it etc. but it still produces only a single window, documents go under tabs. Sigh.

Robert

2018-03-28 21:22 Just downloaded the 1.6.7 version, and it's still the same: if the palettes are on the screen that does not carry the menu bar, then the new document appears on the screen with the palettes, which is NOT where I expect it and certainly not where I want it

:(

Robert