You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity iPad copy selection to new layer

I'm Affinity iPad newbie. Looked high and low and tried all I can, but.....how does one copy a selection to a new layer that can be blended with the original layer? Something I do easily and repeatedly in PS. Yes, I can do it on mainframe Affinity.

Many thanks for the help!

Hi Cyberstu

First go into the selections persona,make your selection.

Go back into the photo persona, select the commands menu, pasteboard, copy.

Go back to the selections persona, select the commands menu, deselect.

Go back into the photo persona, select the commands menu, pasteboard, paste.

This creates a new pixel layer with the selection on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Great knowledge here. Posting, so I can dig up my content in the profile options, in the future, and grab this intel in case I forget.

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Here's a quicker way:

• create your selection (Selections Persona)
  • change to Photo Persona, tap the canvas with two fingers and select Copy from the popup menu
  • tap the screen with two fingers again and select Paste (tap the canvas again with two fingers to quickly Deselect the selection too using the popup menu).

Thanks Meb but > create  selection > tap 2 fingers :: layer from selection directly would be great

And Paste does not paste at the same place

I do the selection on eyes > copy > paste  > the eyes are not where they were before

Once you have an active selection on a pixel layer, switch to the Photo persona.

Instead of choosing Copy and Paste sequentially, you can simply choose Duplicate (1 less tap!)

This creates a new layer containing only your selection.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 4 months later...

Trying each of these methods to select an area of a photo. I can duplicate the entire photo, but I cannot figure out how to duplicate just the part within the selection. 

The way that I can get it to work is to start with project using Import From Photos. When I do that I can make a selection, then switch to Photo persona and two-finger click duplicate. Only the selection is duplicated. I can resize the original image, move it around, whatever before I make the selection, the duplicate selection still works.

But if I import a new photo to a new layer and try to duplicate, the entire image is duplicated.

I assume that once I draw that selection, whatever layer I navigate to and select will be the target for my duplicate and only the portion of the image within the selection will be duplicated. But this is not working.

This behavior is similarly replicated in this workflow:

Import from Photos

Select Area

Two finger Invert SElection

Photo Persona

Two finger Delte

Only the originally selected area remains. As expected.

as opposed to:

New Document

Place From Photos

Make Selection

Two finger invert selection

Photo persona

Two finger delete

The entire photo is deleted but the ants-marching remains and in fact the entire layer is gone

• Staff

Hi jmkeuning,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's because you are trying to copy from an Image layer type (check the small letters above the layer's name in the Layers Studio).

You have to rasterise the layer first to convert it to a Pixel layer so you can edit/manipulate it at a pixel level. To do it go to the three dots menu on the top (in Photo Persona) and select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. You can then copy/paste just the selected area.

Image layers are considered object layers: you can transform them as a whole (scale, rotate etc, and apply non-destructive filters/adjustments) but you can't change/manipulate them directly at a pixel level because they retain all original image data so all that operation can be done without losing quality. So to be able to manipulate them directly you have to convert them first to pixel layers as described above.

I'm really confused by the layering processes in this app so please forgive me if this is a basic question.

How do I use a black and white image as an alpha on my background?

example: i have a tree on a grey sky. I created a high contrast black and white of the image to separate the tree from the sky. How do i use that high contrast image as a mask to help replace the sky?

• 1 month later...

Hello! I'm Affinity iPad newbie and I have a problem with quality during the transformation. After Rasterise ▸ Rasterise my image lost quality after each move.  
If I want to cut the selection and transform it, it becomes blurred after one move. 

What can I do to save quality? :(

IMG_0059.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2017 at 9:45 AM, MEB said:

Here's a quicker way:

• create your selection (Selections Persona)
  • change to Photo Persona, tap the canvas with two fingers and select Copy from the popup menu
  • tap the screen with two fingers again and select Paste (tap the canvas again with two fingers to quickly Deselect the selection too using the popup menu).

Two fingers doesn't work and it's undo instead.
I saw an article says that it's one finger.
Did you changed the gesture?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi ashf,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Sorry the delay getting back to you. I have not been working during the last weeks.
Regarding your question, yes this was changed (this thread is quite old). In the 
current version tapping with two fingers performs an undo as you discovered; tapping with three fingers performs a redo. To invoke the pop-up menu mentioned in this thread do a long press instead - the pop-up will appear when you raise your finger - you can select Copy, Paste as well as other operations from this menu. You can also use Duplicate Selection from this this pop-up menu instead of a copy/paste operation to get the same result.

The issue/bug mentioned above (pasting doesn't place the data in the same place where it was copied from) was already fixed. 

• 6 months later...

Trying to figure out this, but it doesn’t work as I intend it to do. I’m trying to select the black lines from a colour drawing and I think I got it selected, but when I copy and paste it, it still pasted the entire drawing, so somehow the entire drawing is selected, although it doesn’t look like it to me, but I might be wrong. 
Perhaps this is better done in Designer? I also tried to separate the colours in CMYK, but that didn’t work, of course, since the black is a part of the other three colours as well. 
I was just hoping I could extract the lineart because I flattened the artwork unintentionally and would need one layer with the lineart only, but I don’t know if there’s a way to do that. Selecting them hasn’t worked so far at least. And now I can’t deselect either, because when I go back to the selection it’s still there no matter how much I deselect it. I’m afraid that this part isn’t very intuitive, like the rest is. But if you have any idea as to how I can achieve what I want, I’m grateful. 

10 hours ago, Wilfred Hildonen said:

Trying to figure out this, but it doesn’t work as I intend it to do. I’m trying to select the black lines from a colour drawing and I think I got it selected, but when I copy and paste it, it still pasted the entire drawing, so somehow the entire drawing is selected, although it doesn’t look like it to me, but I might be wrong. 
Perhaps this is better done in Designer? I also tried to separate the colours in CMYK, but that didn’t work, of course, since the black is a part of the other three colours as well. 
I was just hoping I could extract the lineart because I flattened the artwork unintentionally and would need one layer with the lineart only, but I don’t know if there’s a way to do that. Selecting them hasn’t worked so far at least. And now I can’t deselect either, because when I go back to the selection it’s still there no matter how much I deselect it. I’m afraid that this part isn’t very intuitive, like the rest is. But if you have any idea as to how I can achieve what I want, I’m grateful. 

Show us what your layer stack looks like, does it say pixel?, if your layer you are copying from says ‘image’ then you must rasterise it first.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 years later...

My iPadPro Affinity Photo selections keep coming out with a white background when I export them and paste them into my Affinity Publisher. It wasn't doing that earlier, so i don't know what may have changed... Any insights to help me get the selection simply free-floating?

9 hours ago, Leola said:

My iPadPro Affinity Photo selections keep coming out with a white background when I export them and paste them into my Affinity Publisher. It wasn't doing that earlier, so i don't know what may have changed... Any insights to help me get the selection simply free-floating?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm a bit confused about your workflow. You mention exporting selecting (which means you're creating a file) and pasting them into a Publisher document. Do you mean Placing, rather than pasting? Or was there a copy step missing in there?

Also, what kind of file are you creating in the Export step, and what export settings did you use?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1