Cyberstu

Affinity iPad copy selection to new layer

I'm Affinity iPad newbie. Looked high and low and tried all I can, but.....how does one copy a selection to a new layer that can be blended with the original layer? Something I do easily and repeatedly in PS. Yes, I can do it on mainframe Affinity.

Many thanks for the help!

Hi Cyberstu

First go into the selections persona,make your selection.

Go back into the photo persona, select the commands menu, pasteboard, copy.

Go back to the selections persona, select the commands menu, deselect.

Go back into the photo persona, select the commands menu, pasteboard, paste.

This creates a new pixel layer with the selection on it.

Here's a quicker way:

• create your selection (Selections Persona)
  • change to Photo Persona, tap the canvas with two fingers and select Copy from the popup menu
  • tap the screen with two fingers again and select Paste (tap the canvas again with two fingers to quickly Deselect the selection too using the popup menu).

Thanks Meb but > create  selection > tap 2 fingers :: layer from selection directly would be great

And Paste does not paste at the same place

I do the selection on eyes > copy > paste  > the eyes are not where they were before

Once you have an active selection on a pixel layer, switch to the Photo persona.

Instead of choosing Copy and Paste sequentially, you can simply choose Duplicate (1 less tap!)

This creates a new layer containing only your selection.

Trying each of these methods to select an area of a photo. I can duplicate the entire photo, but I cannot figure out how to duplicate just the part within the selection. 

The way that I can get it to work is to start with project using Import From Photos. When I do that I can make a selection, then switch to Photo persona and two-finger click duplicate. Only the selection is duplicated. I can resize the original image, move it around, whatever before I make the selection, the duplicate selection still works.

But if I import a new photo to a new layer and try to duplicate, the entire image is duplicated.

I assume that once I draw that selection, whatever layer I navigate to and select will be the target for my duplicate and only the portion of the image within the selection will be duplicated. But this is not working.

This behavior is similarly replicated in this workflow:

Import from Photos

Select Area

Two finger Invert SElection

Photo Persona

Two finger Delte

Only the originally selected area remains. As expected.

as opposed to:

New Document

Place From Photos

Make Selection

Two finger invert selection

Photo persona

Two finger delete

The entire photo is deleted but the ants-marching remains and in fact the entire layer is gone

Hi jmkeuning,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's because you are trying to copy from an Image layer type (check the small letters above the layer's name in the Layers Studio).

You have to rasterise the layer first to convert it to a Pixel layer so you can edit/manipulate it at a pixel level. To do it go to the three dots menu on the top (in Photo Persona) and select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. You can then copy/paste just the selected area.

Image layers are considered object layers: you can transform them as a whole (scale, rotate etc, and apply non-destructive filters/adjustments) but you can't change/manipulate them directly at a pixel level because they retain all original image data so all that operation can be done without losing quality. So to be able to manipulate them directly you have to convert them first to pixel layers as described above.

I'm really confused by the layering processes in this app so please forgive me if this is a basic question.

How do I use a black and white image as an alpha on my background?

example: i have a tree on a grey sky. I created a high contrast black and white of the image to separate the tree from the sky. How do i use that high contrast image as a mask to help replace the sky?

Hello! I'm Affinity iPad newbie and I have a problem with quality during the transformation. After Rasterise ▸ Rasterise my image lost quality after each move.  
If I want to cut the selection and transform it, it becomes blurred after one move. 

What can I do to save quality? :(

IMG_0059.jpg