You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo iPad storage space problem

WARNING: Do NOT just hit save on projects hoping they will be safe in your Files app under “On my iPad”, they will also be deleted. Move them out of that folder and into a iCloud-based directory, otherwise you’ll bite the same lime I did.

@Dash Yes it’s a bit of a trap. One would expect that files 'Saved' to the iPad would stay saved. Affinity seem to have a different approach. Your projects will be saved in the Affinity Photo folder on the iPad (viewable in Files app) when you tap Save in the Project screen, but as MEB pointed out in the previous post, if you then uninstall the Affinity Photo you also delete its associated 'Save' folder on the iPad. It should at least ask 'Do you want to delete saved projects on this iPad?', before deleting.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 7 months later...

Did anyone find the solution to this space not being freed up problem? Just wanted to add that upon further investigation I realized that the problem for me seems to be that once I save files on the ipad files system everything is good. The problem comes when I try to delete these files in order to free up space. When I delete them, they are simply just moved to the recently deleted folder on the iPad files app. When I try to delete the items in the recently deleted folder, they momentarily disappear. But upon exit and re entry of the folder, they appear to be still there. It would seem the problem is affinity photo files are not really getting deleted from the iPad but rather just stay in the recently deleted folder. Only way to permanently delete them is to uninstall affinity photo which then finally deletes the files on the recently deleted folder for good. Could be an iPad files problem or an affinity photo problem, either way, that seems to be the problem for me. Please let me know if anyone finds a solution to this. It’s pretty annoying since deleting affinity photo becomes inevitable and the saved presets on different adjustments go with it. :(.

while I’m here, might as well point out that the selective colour adjustment doesnt allow saving of presets. Please fix this too. The plus symbol which saves a preset is no where to be found on the adjustment. 

Hello, same question about an update on the storage issue.

After only little working within AP, the count has reached nearly 30GB with me. O.K., I have not closed my projects so far.

What seems odd is that the „official“ space shown in settings / iPad storage viewed file by file is far less than the 30GB total shown there for the app storage.

No problem to me (pro 10,5 / 512) so far, but if I make a projection, the day will come - most likely when sitting in a nice hotel with a not-so-nice internet connection. I use my iPad as picture backup during holidays, and this is eating storage space like nothing. So this space must be liberated without much effort when the vacation is over (or in between when a good connection to the cloud is available).

By the way, no crashes so far. Might this happen following a RAM overflow ? The iPad seems to have differing RAM sizes depending on the size of the permanent storage capacity. A pro with 128 is not only short of memory space, but on RAM as well, compared to a larger memory pro. I would expect a crash when the app runs out of memory to work with.

And the storage issue must be solved for sure - when I save something outside of an app, this data must remain even if the app is gone. It is not practical to have to create another copy of these files just in case ... imagine this when applied to all apps writing files to the shared memory of an iPad.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 9:53 PM, MEB said:

Hi Fotoloco,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, if you uninstall Affinity Photo for iPad the project files stored inside the app will be deleted. You have to save/backup them first.

Is this a joke? Almost 2 whole years of people reporting this issue and all the affinity team has to say is delete and install again? Is rhis why we pay 20 bucks to have our app crashing losing stuff we worked on for hours for this team to merely ignore this issue? I loved the potential of this app, but it seems as though we gotta wait for Photoshop as the team behind this doesnt seem to care about fixing issues..

• 1 month later...

Is there any update on this issue?

I’ve been using Designer on my first-gen iPad Pro for a while, and I noticed my data keeps climbing. I am now at about 40gb, which is peculiar considering my iPad only has 32gb of total storage. I’ve deleted all unnecessary and duplicate designs, and estimate I should only be using about 5gb.

If this bug isn’t fixed soon, I really hope Serif comes out with a way to bulk backup all Designer files. When I try to save them to iCloud manually, it almost always freezes or crashes, leaving a corrupt file in the destination folder. It would take me literally hours to backup every single file and make sure each one is not corrupted.

10 hours ago, American1776 said:

I really hope Serif comes out with a way to bulk backup all Designer files. When I try to save them to iCloud manually, it almost always freezes or crashes, leaving a corrupt file in the destination folder.

I use Document by Readdle (free app) to create an Affinity Photo and Affinity Design folder on my iPad (inside Documents app). I then create nested folders as necessary and save all my new files using Document Menu, Save a Copy and navigating to the Documents/Affinity folder/Nested folder.. Then close the file, and use Open from Cloud, Navigate to Documents/Affinity/Nested folder and open the file. Now I have a Save option under the Document Menu and any edits are 'saved' back to Documents/Affinity/Nested as .afphoto or .afdesign file. In Documents I can select one, two or as many files as I like to move/copy backups to iCloud or Dropbox etc. Using this workflow avoids loss of files. 

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

10 hours ago, DM1 said:

I use Document by Readdle (free app) to create an Affinity Photo and Affinity Design folder on my iPad (inside Documents app). I then create nested folders as necessary and save all my new files using Document Menu, Save a Copy and navigating to the Documents/Affinity folder/Nested folder.. Then close the file, and use Open from Cloud, Navigate to Documents/Affinity/Nested folder and open the file. Now I have a Save option under the Document Menu and any edits are 'saved' back to Documents/Affinity/Nested as .afphoto or .afdesign file. In Documents I can select one, two or as many files as I like to move/copy backups to iCloud or Dropbox etc. Using this workflow avoids loss of files. 

Thanks for the tip. I’m slowly working on saving them to iCloud, but after every couple of documents, it starts saving them as 0 byte files. So then I have to reboot the iPad and start again. A few more hours and I should have it done. I wish I knew about this bug beforehand. I had assumed the app saved the files in the “On My iPad” folder like most adobe apps.

1 hour ago, American1776 said:

I had assumed the app saved the files in the “On My iPad” folder like most adobe apps.

When you use the Save function on the project screen it does save to the “On my IPad” Affinity folder, unless you have set default save location to iCloud. In that case it saves to the Affinity folder on iCloud. Problem is if you delete the app from the iPad it will also delete those folders (and their content)!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 11:15 AM, American1776 said:

Because I should only be using a few gigabytes of storage, and I assumed the application was free if any major bugs.

for example, you can use google photo (if we talking only about photo), they didn't have any limits of space and you can add a lot of devices, I use it and happy :)

On 3/29/2019 at 10:24 AM, cadet said:

for example, you can use google photo (if we talking only about photo), they didn't have any limits of space and you can add a lot of devices, I use it and happy :)

you can install google photo on your laptop and your tablet or phone and easy transfer between all of your devices 

On 3/19/2019 at 3:25 AM, DM1 said:

When you use the Save function on the project screen it does save to the “On my IPad” Affinity folder, unless you have set default save location to iCloud. In that case it saves to the Affinity folder on iCloud. Problem is if you delete the app from the iPad it will also delete those folders (and their content)!

But with Creative Cloud apps, I don’t need to do that extra step; what I save within the app saves to the cloud, and I can immediately access them from all my devices. With Affinity Designer, you essentially have duplicates of every file, one in the app and one in iCloud (once you manually save it). That just gets messy and leads to problems such as this, where I can’t save my documents to iCloud because AD is apparently using 50 out of my 32 GB total device storage.