You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is, probably, too much to ask for a program, that's 90% there. Painting is vastly different from photo manipulation. Combining both in one program is great, but while one paints, he doesn't usually need other non-related features and tools, But he needs all of the necessary tools right there, literally at the left finger tip. With this in mind, it'd be good to have a "painting persona" added to the top personas.

Things nice to have in the toolbox (left menu):

1. Marquee tool to move, re-size, rotate distort (drag corner anchors)
  2. Selection tools (I know, we have a whole sophisticated selection persona, but there needs to be some way to select a part of an image right there):
    1. rectangle, lasso
    2. quick selection brush
    3. magic wand
  3. Paint brushes:
    1. opaque (oil)
    2. transparent (watercolor)
  4. Retouch brushes
    1. dodge
    2. burn
    3. sponge (saturate/desaturate)
    4. blur
    5. sharpen
  5. Liquify brush (could be few)
  6. Eraser (+ erase to history)
  7. Show/hide mixing palette
  8. Show/hide reference image (see how ArtRage does it)
  9. Fav. brushes (your saved custom brushes). Choosing one automatically switch to the brush type it was assigned to (dodge for example).
  10. More - expose other custom brushes by moving all tools up.

Bottom controls (sliders and switches). They have to be available without extra clicking and going to a submenus. This is like asking an artist to go to another room to pick another brush from the box every time he needs one. There is enough room horizontally. 

1. Brush size
  2. Brush opacity
  3. Flow
  4. Brush hardness
  5. Wet paint on/off
  6. Finger rejection on/off (optional, can be part of preferences)
  7. Show 100%
  8. Hide/show controls (full screen)

This would make your app a dream for artists too, not just photographers! 

• 1 year later...

The above sounds like a very good suggestion.

My concerns also arise from a personal focus on the painting environment. I have used many other apps but always become irritated that no one app has all I need. Recently found myself jumping backwards and forwards between Pixelmator and Sketch Club to achieve all I wanted on one artwork. I appreciate that AF is more like a Photoshop successor than it is a purely painting app like Adobe Sketch, and its versatility is wonderful and the whole point of me buying it, but the one feature which would make it my absolute one-stop art app would be the addition of more realistic stroke interactions like those in Adobe Sketch and ArtRage. My personal aspiration is for AF to have a bleeding-stroke watercolour brush (you know, where the strokes keep moving outwards until you tap the little fan icon to freeze it) like the one in Adobe Sketch, which I think is the industry best (and I’m an experienced watercolourist in real-space). I suppose the oilists would want the 3D, impasto, mushed-together interaction/look. 

A tall order, I know, but such features would make AF the undisputed industry leader, in my humble opinion. It’s already fabulous.

(BTW, I know AF has the option to turn on a wet look but, of course, it’s not the same as the dynamic interactions I’m describing.)

Would also like to be able to tilt the Apple Pencil on its side, whilst using the pencil brush, to make a broader, softer stroke for shading (as done in Adobe Sketch, Notes and some other apps) instead of having to change brush settings or choose another brush.

Psssst.....It needs waaay more importantly essential fixes to the brush engine.... And then could come all mentioned above. Otherwise, would be like building on top of those problems...first, is fixing the core, imo  (to realize what I mean, check my signature... ;)  ...even the small font....sorry....   ) 

Edit: Oops... We are in an iPad thread, not a Windows one... well, I guess a bunch of fixes wold do great to all platforms.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.