You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Digital Painting

So far affinity photo for iPad is looking great! This is almost exactly what I have been looking for ever since the iPad pro first came out. I know it's mostly positioned as a photo editing app, and not a painting and illustration tool but there are a couple of things that would make it perfectly suited to painting if they were there: 

• Easier colour sampling - I've seen this mentioned in other threads for the mac version, but I can't really overstate how important the eyedropper tool is for digital painting. 90% of the time in procreate I am just sampling and painting. In Affinity I have to tap the eyedropper, then tap the brush again - the ability to toggle between brush and eyedropper is really what's needed. Whether that's a button on screen like in procreate or holding down the alt key like in Photoshop.
  • Customization the key-commands. I'm sure this is already on your list, but being able to do absolutely everything from the keyboard would free me up to always have one hand for switching tools and one hand on the stylus at all times
  • Pressure sensitivity for opacity - I was amazed when I saw all the controls for each brush, but opacity is the one thing that's missing in there. I know flow is similar, but I find sometimes opactity is what I really want to vary
  • Disable finger input for brushes all together: Palm rejection works okay, but in every app I've ever used it's still not good enough to 100% prevent random input from my palm. A lot of apps have added the ability to make it so only the Pencil can make brush strokes, which solves this problem
  • Rotate and zoom with multi-touch without 'rotation mode' - when I am painting I'm basically constantly rotating the canvas, and it would be more seamless for rotation to be always on like zoom for multi touch gestures
  • Undo with multi-touch: Other people have mentioned the two-finger tap for undo is so ingrained in my me by procreate that I find myself doing it in every single app (sometimes when I am drawing on paper too!) - I think that would be a good feature to copy

I hope it's not too annoying that every thread is filled with these little complaints. The truth is Affinity photo is a great app, it brings almost every advanced feature I have been looking for to iPad. Especially masking! I look forward to seeing how the app progresses now that it's arrived.  

• Staff

Hi chadmakes,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. With the Paint Brush Tool selected, tap and hold (with your finder) until a loupe appears on screen then drag it to pick the colour you want (this doesn't work with the Pencil Tool).

2. Affinity Photo does have keyboard shortcuts built-in but you can't customise them yet.

3. With the Paint Brush Tool selected, tap the More button on the context toolbar on bottom, tap the Dynamics section and set the value you want in the Accumulation setting - don't forget to change the Controller dropdown to Pressure there. This is controlled per brush. There's no general setting.

4. This is just the first implementation. We may add Pencil input only in a future update/version.

5. This is also being considered for a future update/version as an option in the Preferences as it may become annoying for certain types of work

6. Thanks for the feedback.

Other people have mentioned the two-finger tap for undo is so ingrained in my me by procreate that I find myself doing it in every single app (sometimes when I am drawing on paper too!)

Me too … isn’t that weird?  :rolleyes:

Hey MEB, 

Thanks for the response. With regards to the tap and hold for the colour selection, this is a little better than tapping between two tools, but still quite a bit slower than a toggle. I might toggle back and forth between sample and brush dozens of times blending just a small section of a painting, tapping and holding - especially with a finger rather than the pencil would really slow this process down. For me this really is a key feature so I hope that Affinity is able to look at it. 

Thanks again and great work!

Other people have mentioned the two-finger tap for undo is so ingrained in my me by procreate that I find myself doing it in every single app (sometimes when I am drawing on paper too!)

Me too … isn’t that weird?  :rolleyes:

Even better than to mimic another app gestures, I wish Serif gives is a way to fully customize the gestures, so we can choose the behaviour of a two finger tap, three finger tap, four finger tap, three finger swipe (up, down, left, right), one finger swipe (up, down, left, right) etc. That will be awesomeness ;)

Hi RHiNO,

You should post that on the Feature Requests section as it has more chances to be picked there.

Other users and myself have put some dozens of requests in this thread :)

Should I consolidate my requests and repost them in the requests forum if the specific request is not there already? :)

• 2 months later...

I agree with the colour picking note but more than that it would be great to be able to save new brush presets. Also the the pressure curve is pretty heavy handed even when you press softly with the pencil. These are really the only reasons i choose procreate over affinity for painting

Cheers.