You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

Far be it for me to tell you how to run your business, but when I purchased Affinity Photo and Designer I already thought that the price you had set was too low given the quality of the product. I've noticed that you've since dropped the price further. Do you think you might be underselling your products and creating the impression that they are of inferior quality to Adobe's suite?

I understand that you can't sell it for what Adobe charges given their market dominance but I want to see Affinity Designer and Photo become worthy and recognised competitors. For my part I'm spreading the word where I can and I hope, as a professional concept artist and matte painter, to produce some work in Photo when I have an opportunity, to showcase what is possible with this tool.

-grant

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

Thanks Lee. Fair enough.

Nice to see Affinity Photo for iPad. I just saw the presentation. It actually makes me want to purchase an iPad just for the app!

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

Far be it for me to tell you how to run your business, but when I purchased Affinity Photo and Designer I already thought that the price you had set was too low given the quality of the product.

It's quite refreshing to see someone from Australia saying that the price is too low! Most of your compatriots posting here have complained about Apple's "price gouging" in respect of Australian customers. (I always thought "gouging" meant taking a chunk out of something, but as far as prices are concerned it apparently means the opposite to Australians.)

Nice to see Affinity Photo for iPad. I just saw the presentation. It actually makes me want to purchase an iPad just for the app!

You're not the only one! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred. Australians and Kiwis, being at the end of the line are often subjected to higher prices than elsewhere and Apple is certainly renowned for the 'premium' mark-up on prices here.

With regards to gouging, it does indeed mean 'taking a chunk out of something', in this case the chunk is out of you the consumer.

As a freelancer there are times when I either elect or simply don't have work. I object to paying a subscription for Adobe's products under I'm not deriving an income in a given month. Moreover, in principle I object to never owning the software and having to 'report in' to Adobe. Finally, I just like to see some solid competition and I think Serif's developing suite is a contender where the likes of Corel's products for example, never have. Already there are areas where I feel these packages outclass their Adobe equivalents. I feel that Photo's and Designer's layer support is superior and I love the Live Filter Layers. And givnen my needs I find myself preferring Photo's brush handling capabilities.

Hi Alfred. Australians and Kiwis, being at the end of the line are often subjected to higher prices than elsewhere and Apple is certainly renowned for the 'premium' mark-up on prices here.

Thanks, Grant. I mentioned Australians in particular because you seem to get a worse deal than Kiwis!

Mac App Store Tier 50 prices as of May 29, 2017:

$49.99 USD = US$49.99
$74.99 NZD = US$54.17
$79.99 AUD = US$60.35

The currency conversions on the right in the above list came courtesy of XE.com earlier today. (There's even more of a discrepancy when you look at the current UK price, which is £48.99 GBP = US$62.24.)

With regards to gouging, it does indeed mean 'taking a chunk out of something', in this case the chunk is out of you the consumer.

My point was that the phrase "price gouging" suggests to me that it's the price rather than the customer's pocket which is having a chunk taken out of it. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks MEB for the team's work on Affinity Photo and Designer, and for you very kind words.

I'll keep let you know when I have some personal work to show and share that has been completed in Photo. At the moment, the transition is slow. I have an urgent deadline on a project for a client and so for now I'm working with what is familiar in order to get the task done If the work I create it meets your standards and criteria, I'd be happy to have it showcased.