You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity v Affinity Beta

When will it not be necessary to continue developing Affinity Beta? Is the intention to eventually combine both?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The ,beta' versions are for testing features. You will eventually get everything that is introduced in the betas in the AppStore version. However, since I trust Serif will continue to develop new features and enhance the existing functionality, there will ALWAYS be a beta version, showing the things to come.

This suggests that it would be sensible to just use the Beta version since it will have new features. I am currently drawing a quite complex technical illustration on the AppStore version -  will I be able to continue with the drawing using the Beta version?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

If this is the case then I would have a problem testing the Beta version doing a complex project as this is the only way I can truly test it. The flipping bug I have just found on the Apps version was because I was using it. If I had been using the Beta version it might not have shown up as a Beta bug.

I have just tried it and the group will not 'Flip' in the Beta version either.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

This suggests that it would be sensible to just use the Beta version since it will have new features.

You could, but it would be risky. Although we really try to eliminate bugs before uploading the Beta version, some may slip through. For serious bugs we'd surely ship a new Beta ASAP, but in the mean time in the worst case you might have lost hours of work and be unable to continue your project for days. So yes, we want people to use the Beta, because that's how bugs are found, but be aware of the risks. Treat each new Beta with suspicion, and at least play around with it for a while until you are sure it is good, before using it on anything critical. And take back-ups before you overwrite old drawings with a fresh Beta.

I've experimented further with the attached file.

1 It will not flip as a group of black and white objects.

2  When ungrouped the black and white groups will flip individually.

3  Having ungrouped them and then re-grouping them they will now flip together.

I then went back to my drawing to experiment and lo and behold the group now flipped thus curing my original problem.

Having now said all that I retried the attached test file and it will not flip without doing the above.

If you can understand all this you are doing well!

Flipping objects.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Sounds like good advice.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0