You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: Hatching outline/shading

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to do this in AD:

Basically I want a coastline in a map to be 'shaded' by some light hatching coming off from it. I have seen this on other (fantasy) maps such as the one attached. (Not my work, found from: https://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90903&d=1483879184).

post-56129-0-38466600-1497191783_thumb.jpg

I don't mind doing it 'manually', but I can't find a way to ensure line spacing is always equal and then to get it to fade off. Of course, more convenient methods would be perfect as well.

Thanks.

Here's is a method. 

Use the pen tool, and in line mode, draw a horizontal line. Give the stroke some thickness, and then use the pressure setting control to taper on end. Use the transparency tool to fade the stroke away in the direction of the taper.

Duplicate the line, move the duplicate straight down, and repeat the duplication as much as you want. Its called power duplication. The result will quickly be a vertical series of evenly spaced lines. These can then be moved together to near the coast line. W. shift held down for constraint, shift each to the coastline.

Will be tedious. Many are waiting for a "blend" tool which will replicate an object along a path. At present, there are some cases where symbol fonts can be used to conform to a text path. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to get that to work in this situation.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hmmm. You could take the pen tool and draw a single straight line and then give it a textured line style. Then you can option drag it down to make a second line and maybe give it a slightly different textured line or use the Reverse Curve action command to make the textured line style move in the opposite direction. You could set up say 5 lines that are spaced apart how you want with slightly different textured lines and then select those 5 lines and option drag them down and then power duplicate them until they fill up the page.

Then group all of the line together and rasterize it. Then you could go to the Pixel Persona and use the Erase Brush tool to modify the lines to where they are along the coast. You could even use the other tools, like Blur, Sharpen etc, to fine tune it further. That is how I would do it.