You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

copy and paste

I've spent a fair bit of time and can't find out how I can select a part of an image, copy it and then paste that part of an image....also can you have 2 images open at the same time to copy and paste between the images in Affinity on iPad pro

Cheers

In Selections Persona, make your selection.  Go to Photo Persona.  Under the Commands menu, choose Copy, then choose Paste.  Your selection will be copied to a new layer.  If this was not clear or you have further questions, please ask.

Someone else will have to answer your question about copying and pasting between multiple images.

Assuming that the iPad version preserves the distinction between 'Image' and 'Pixel' layers, you will need to rasterize an image layer (thereby turning it into a pixel layer) if you want to copy only selected pixels instead of the entire layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That's interesting, Lille! So are you saying that you can open an image and immediately copy and paste a selection without rasterizing the layer first? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png

I've only tried it once, in order to try and answer the OP's question, using an image I had just developed. In History, it says "Raster smart selection brush."  I didn't have to activate any Rasterize command.  Just selected, copied, and pasted.  

• Staff

Hi sambikeart,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can't have two images open simultaneously but you can copy from one and paste on another. To do it create your selection as usual - make sure you are working with a pixel layer type - look at the label above the layers name (in small letters, all caps) in the Layers studio. If it says Image instead of Pixel you have to convert it to a Pixel layer first. To do this tap the ellipsis icon on the top of the interface in Photo Persona and select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. Not that you have a pixel layer and the selection created, tap the ellipsis icon (Photo Persona) and select Pasteboard ▸ Copy. Tap the <- icon to go to Affinity Photo Welcome Screen and select the image where you want to paste the copied selection to open it. Tap the ellipsis menu (Photo Persona) and select Pasteboard ▸ Paste. Your (copied) selection should be pasted on the second document as a new layer.

@Alfred

It works exactly like the desktop version. Image layers must be rasterised first.

@LilleG

Since your layer was created through the Develop Persona it's already a pixel layer, so there wasn't need to rasterise it first.

@Alfred

It works exactly like the desktop version. Image layers must be rasterised first.

@LilleG

Since your layer was created through the Develop Persona it's already a pixel layer, so there wasn't need to rasterise it first.

Thanks, Miguel. I can see that Lille's "an image I had just developed" is the key here. :)

Alfred spacer.png

Hi sambikeart,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can't have two images open simultaneously but you can copy from one and paste on another. To do it create your selection as usual - make sure you are working with a pixel layer type - look at the label above the layers name (in small letters, all caps) in the Layers studio. If it says Image instead of Pixel you have to convert it to a Pixel layer first. To do this tap the ellipsis icon on the top of the interface in Photo Persona and select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. Not that you have a pixel layer and the selection created, tap the ellipsis icon (Photo Persona) and select Pasteboard ▸ Copy. Tap the <- icon to go to Affinity Photo Welcome Screen and select the image where you want to paste the copied selection to open it. Tap the ellipsis menu (Photo Persona) and select Pasteboard ▸ Paste. Your (copied) selection should be pasted on the second document as a new layer.

@Alfred

@LilleG

So that's how you can copy and paste from a placed image layer... 

@MEB, can you just explain what is the reason behind why you need to Rasterise?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Good Day

I have tried almost all ways to copy and paste and its still not working

im getting very frustrated considering the main thing I wanted to to with this is copy and paste to different images on affinity photo

im selecting certain things or even just using full image and putting it in canvas size and in pixel image but when I paste it barely any of the picture is actually there

for example this lake and mountain that im doing 

im copying everything but when I paste it it just pastes a super tiny portion of one mountain

• 9 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 7:53 PM, julia_mysterywhite said:

im copying everything but when I paste it it just pastes a super tiny portion of one mountain

I suspect your canvas is too small to show the pasted image (conversely the image is too large). You should be able to tap to select (move tool) and drag a corner to make pasted image smaller (you may have to zoom right out to see image handles. Alternately use the unclip canvas feature.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, Jim Cooper said:

can’t even find the copy command on my iPad tapping on screen does nothin

Press and hold finger on screen till menu pops up. 🙂

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

42 minutes ago, Jim Cooper said:

it’s just frustrating when I can’t get it to work

The problem here is that this thread was created three years ago, and the meaning of a two-finger tap has changed since then.

Alfred spacer.png

53 minutes ago, Jim Cooper said:

I will give it a try the videos make it look easy it’s just frustrating when I can’t get it to work thank you 

Just press with one finger for a second or two, then lift your finger. Menu appears (Pop-up) immediately.