You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get noise to work on pixel layers

Just wondering if there is a way to get the noise feature to work on painted or pixel work? Can't seem to find it, don't know if it's buried somewhere or just not a feature... sure would be great to have it work in a similar fashion to the vector stuff.

• Staff

There's no way to apply noise to a raster layer in Affinity Designer (yet). At least not directly. There's already a thread requesting this here (noise applied as an effect with customisable options etc) but as you know there's already a lot of work being done around other feature requests....

However you ill be able to do that in Affinity Photo through filters. 

Thanks MEB, yes I saw that thread.

I was hoping for a solution for the pixel brush painting type of stuff -OR- even an overall adjustment layer or layer effect like brightness/contrast only for noise and it would effect any layer below it, so you still have some control as to what gets the effect... seems to my inexperienced eyes that it would be similar in theory to the gaussian blur effect, only using noise?? Is there a technical reason for not having it I wonder?

... and it sure would be good to keep this in Designer, as much as the suite will be closely tied together, it would be a little bit of a workflow hiccup to have to open up Photo just to add noise to something pixel based...

• Staff

That's what being discussed in that thread. An FX effect that you could apply to any layer/object (pixel or vector based) with some settings to control noise size type etc.

If you want it applied to a pixel brush level, currently it must be done through the nozzles themselves.

I agree with you last statement about having to open Photo just for adding noise. But this is probably the first dynamic feature/way you will have access to. I don't think a Noise FX effect will come first to Designer... but i may be wrong here.