swrbad

More than worse Beta App!

I am playing around several days now with the Ipad App. And I come to an impression that nearly every job I want to do ends with not working tools or crashes with data loss.

So I think this App is still in an very early Beta stage! There is much to do,but I have still payed 20 Euros and have to wait until the App works proper.

Today I stitched 3 jpegs ( Raw is not supported????Why?) together and when I want to restore the white edges total crash. In the stitched picture many artifacts in the sky and so on and on.

Here one improvement for panorama job, please let me choose more as one file in source folder to import for stitching!

That was my last experience with the App I have not the time to document all the problems I had since the first use.

I hope your development team is busy enough to do a better job in Future!

On the positive side I see that you are the first group developing such an long expected Foto App. Adobe App is far more stable, less money,but with less functions!

So I hope for better future soon.

I don't think the developers would call it a beta release. Though it is a 1.0 release. And I'd keep in mind that sadly due to the way Apple runs things on the app store, they couldn't do a beta the way that the Affinity folks like to. They've ported over the back end. And I'm sure that they've tried to iron out all the bugs that they could find, especially the ones they figure most people are going to encounter right away. But Photo does soooo many different things, the best way to ensure the product is rock solid is to let them know exactly what you were doing when things broke, so they can recreate it and find out where the problems are.

Personally the stuff I was doing with the app so far has been rock solid. Though I haven't been trying to import more than a JPEG, I've mostly been working with Apple Pencil. My guess is that over the next month a lot of the big bugs will get squished, and pretty soon after that you'll stop encountering weird conflicts. The good news is that a lot of the problems you report now will also mean that Designer will be even more stable when it launches on iOS.

Developers can do beta tests using TestFlight. I was once a beta tester of Adobe product on the TestFlight and they have removed lots of bugs before a release by just letting selected users find them and not going straight to the Appstore. Take a look at the negative reviews the Affinity Photo for iOS is getting from other users on the Appstore due to crashes. The time of the app release might have been dictated by marketing reasons and has been rushed to make it to WWDC.

Well, I did not have any problems importing 7 150MB large tiff files from the cloud for panorama stitching in Affinity Photo. But the stitching and rendering of the panorama took me three times, before it worked with a great result! I closed all apps on my iPad Pro 12.9" the third try and that seem to prevent the app from crashing during rendering of the panorama. The panorama itself was rendered perfectly without any artifacts of whatever. All in all it took about 5 minutes.

I edited another 750MB (!) large tiff HDR panorama (27 photos rendered and stitched in Lightroom and saved to cloud) in Affinity Photo without any problem. No slow downs whatsoever on my iPad Pro 12.9". Very impressive!

Sure, the app isn't fully stable, but it is workable for me. It is a good starting point IMHO, but the app certainly needs some work. Maybe closing all apps will work for you too?

I think not enough ram is the weak point in this app! The more steps you do in development of an picture the higher the risk of crashing.

So you have to save every step you make and that is rather anoying! So long as Apple doesn't provide more Ram Affinity has no chance at least.For that reason it helps to close other apps. But it is not enough!

Hi swrbad

Thank you for the feedback I will make sure it gets passed on to the developers. We are treading uncharted territories with an app of this complexiy running on an iPad but hopefully a lot of issue will be ironed out soon. Just to address your suggestion:

Here one improvement for panorama job, please let me choose more as one file in source folder to import for stitching!

This is actually dictated by iOS,itself rather than our app. However the iOS 11 update reportedly will allow for multi file selection

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com