You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add .tif file mask to export dalog

I understand that it's not an option to change the default TIF extension from .TIFF to .TIF (because .TIFF is a standard?). In my case all other applications I use save as .tif. It would be helpful to at least add a .tif filter to the AP export dialog so that files with both extensions are visible in the window, currently the window is always empty :) (See attached screenshot).

Thanks for consideration.

post-44138-0-72610100-1497085107_thumb.png

I agree.  I have tens of thousands of TIFF images dating back almost a hundred years.  The originals and post-processed master files are all in *.tif format and therefore I will continue to use *.tif for consistency reasons.  Having a mixture of *.tif and *.tiff would be an error waiting to happen especially when carrying out searches/filtering, or carrying out operations in bulk using command line tools.  In addition the Affinity Photo 'save as' dialogue box doesn't see any *.tif files at all, which is a PITA. 

In all honesty I don't understand why Serif don't just standardise on *.tif anyway.  I don't see any advantages of defaulting to *.tiff when everyone else uses *.tif and have done for a long time.  In my eyes it adds unnecessary complications with no benefit.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to point out that (on Windows) you can export your files as something.tif, but to do so you need to put the filename in quotes. Use "something.tif" in the export dialog. However, you would need to remember to do that each time, so it would be better for the Affinity applications to determine the qualifier via a user preference.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

52 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Just wanted to point out that (on Windows) you can export your files as something.tif, but to do so you need to put the filename in quotes. Use "something.tif" in the export dialog. However, you would need to remember to do that each time, so it would be better for the Affinity applications to determine the qualifier via a user preference.

I have file extensions visible so it's possible to delete the last 'f' in the file extension.  However even ignoring that users need to continuously remember to change it, it's still no good as it's not possible to see any *.tif files that are already in folders. 

The below folder has 35 TIFF images in it, but the Affinity Photo 'Save As' dialogue doesn't show a single one (shows as empty) as it will only display *.tiff files.

001.png.d60209663e2f15572d36ba7521fa8b26.png

7 hours ago, Sima said:

The below folder has 35 TIFF images in it, but the Affinity Photo 'Save As' dialogue doesn't show a single one (shows as empty) as it will only display *.tiff files.

Typing *.tif in the ‘File name:’ box ought to reveal them, but we shouldn’t need to resort to such workarounds.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 10. 6. 2017 at 0:56 PM, Sima said:

I have tens of thousands of TIFF images dating back almost a hundred years.  The originals and post-processed master files are all in *.tif format and therefore I will continue to use *.tif for consistency reasons. 

Rename them to *.tiff, which is the standard?

TotalCommander (and many other file managers), it searches and renames them in a few second.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

14 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Rename them to *.tiff, which is the standard?

Engineers (including, but not limited to, software engineers) love standards. That’s why there are so many of them! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)