InfinitePhotos

The file could not be opened because permission was denied.

Version 1.5 - Affinity Photo and Designer both have same issue

Things I've done:

Repaired permissions on internal/external drives (Using Disk Utility)

Changed permissions on the App itself to allow read/write and have added myself

Have uninstalled/reinstalled both MacOS and the programs themselves

Uninstalled/removed fonts (bare basics loaded)

Checked files are accessible (always have been for the last 6 years)

Files will not open from any location; desktop/folders/external drives/icloud drive...

Programs take 3 minutes plus just to stop bouncing in dock then another 2plus minutes to actually load onto the page.

I have no other issues with other programs loading time.

Running MacOS X Sierra 10.12.5

1tb HD with 977gb free

16gig RAM with 2.7 with intel core i5

What else can I try? Have I missed anything else?

post-61395-0-23450000-1497069287_thumb.png

post-61395-0-74898900-1497069295_thumb.png

post-61395-0-84452000-1497069305_thumb.png

post-61395-0-86399200-1497069314_thumb.png

2 other forum posts with regards to this issue.

Someone mentioned Sandboxing.... these programs have full access so I don't understand why it won't just easily open a file from my desktop.

Interesting....

I launched the program in a new user and it launches quick and opens files.

Hmmmmm. so something in my user account is stopping it from launching.

More troubleshooting..........

Hi InfinitePhotos,

How many fonts do you have installed under your main account using FontBook? I see you've said you've gone back to bare basics, but is that in FontBook? This has been known to cause permissions problems when you have a large amount installed due to Apple's sandboxing.

I am having the same problem.  When I do HDR photo's I can do 3 or 4, and then it will no longer save due to permissions restrictions.  If I close the program and open it back up.

It starts working normally again.

Any help?

I cannot open any PSD or JPEG files in Affinity Photo 1.5.2. This is a new problem, the software used to work. With the PSD files, I get a message that "The File was not Found". With the JPEGs it tells me I don't have permission to open them. 

I am planning to switch from Photoshop CS6 which can open all of these files to Affinity Photo. This is a rather significant problem.

I'm having the same intermittent issue. For JPEGs and PNGs: "Failed to open file" "The file could not be opened because permission was denied."

For PDFs, it says "Failed to open PDF file" "The file was not found."

I'm on Affinity Designer version 1.5.5

When I close and reopen the program, the issue is fixed. But then it reoccurs again randomly. 

I have the same problem since a while.  Create a new designer document, then can't save it. I have not seen this problem earlier, i.e. beginning of the year.

But I don't think the number of fonts(*) is the problem:  often I can save to a different folder.  Sometimes I can save to the desktop but not to the folder I originally wanted.  Sometimes I can save to the folder where the document sits, but doing a Save-As to a different folder does not work.

It's very erratic.

Robert.

(*) FontBook says there are 401 fonts, but they are the ones that came with the system and most of them I have switched OFF.  Some cannot be switched OFF unfortunately.

The Designer font menu does not show the OFF fonts.

The only font I installed in addition to the Apple ones is DejaVu.

Robert

(Affinity Designer—Affinity Photo—LiveCode—Mac OS X various)

Late but here is "the fix"
Run into a similar / same issue, and solved it by clearing the font cache

I was earlier using Font Book from Apple. But needed it to abandon due performance problems.
And switched to RightFont

I am currently having a problem with Affinity Photo not opening RAW files from my Nikon camera. I have done every suggestion offered here and elsewhere. I see the only response from Affinity is to ask how many fonts do you have open.

Well…I didn't purchase Affinity Photos to play with fonts. I have plenty of other apps that will do that. I bought it specifically to manipulate my RAW photos, nothing else. If this app is dependent on a customer not having a lot of fonts open then you are about to lose this graphic designer as a customer. I have LOTS of fonts because that is what I do. Affinity Photo should focus on image editing…and nothing more. 

I still have the same problem on my main machine under my main user: can't open or save files. Always get that "permission" error. With a new user it works, but not on my main account.

It does not seem to have to do anything with font management software as I have Suitcase Fusion installed on my MacBookPro and I can use Affinity products there with no problem. I have created a new user on the machine where it does not work and I can use Affinity software then, but not on my main user. Of course migrating to a new user is not an option, because firstly it takes weeks to get everything back to normal, install hundreds of apps, settings and plugins and secondly what do I do if that stupid bug comes up again?

I have tried to clear the font cache, deleted Affinity settings in my LIBRARY folder, repaired permissions, deinstalled fonts but I still can't save or open a damn file.

As I still have Adobe CC installed on my machine because of Premiere and After Effects I went back to using Photoshop and Illustrator, as I can't save files on my main machine.

Please help.

On 7/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, MEB said:

Hi Gary Cascio,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
That's probably a different issue. What Nikon camera and OS are you using/running?

Using a Nikon D7500 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 

thanks

Gary Cascio

On 7/25/2018 at 10:25 AM, Gary Cascio said:

thanks

Gary Cascio

On 7/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, MEB said:

Hi Gary Cascio,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
That's probably a different issue. What Nikon camera and OS are you using/running?

x

On 7/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, MEB said:

Hi Gary Cascio,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Using a Nikon D7500 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 

Still waiting on a response…any type of response.

thanks

Gary Cascio

Hi Gary Cascio,
I'm really sorry for the delay getting back to you. Sometimes one or two threads slip under the radar. My apologies. Our default RAW engine (Serif Labs) officially doesn't support your camera model (although I'm able to open Nikon D7500 files here), but Affinity Photo is also able to use Apple (Core Image RAW) engine which does support it. To switch the RAW engine, open a RAW file go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the first dropdown (RAW engine) to Apple (Core Image RAW). Reload the RAW file it should display correctly.

Any chance you can upload/attach a file you are having trouble with? What Affinity Photo version are you using?

On 10/30/2017 at 5:30 PM, MEB said:

If you are loading a huge number of fonts it may generate that error.

Is this issue ever going to be addressed? I'm so sick of it.

I have 2,700 fonts activated on my system. This is nothing compared to the number I have overall. Even at this number, I get this error in Designer. And Affinity is the only app I have that throws this error.

I am having the same issue. It will open and save files for first few times, but after working on a number of files I get the "Failed to Open File" message box saying that "The file could not be opened because permission was denied". If I close Affinity Pro, and re-open it the file opens correctly. I haven't been able to figure out any sort of pattern as to how many files I can work on before getting the message, or how long the program is open. I tried the steps outlined here for cleaning the font cache but it did not solve the problem. I don't know why fonts would have anything to do this anyway. This seems like a problem that should be fixed by the developer.

For the record, I'm having a similar permissions problem in MS Excel. The suggested fix also involved fonts and also didn't work. 

I'm on Sierra and am curious if this problem has been reported on High Sierra, Mohave, or El Capitan?

On 1/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, dcrosby said:

For the record, I'm having a similar permissions problem in MS Excel. The suggested fix also involved fonts and also didn't work. 

I'm on Sierra and am curious if this problem has been reported on High Sierra, Mohave, or El Capitan?

I've had the problem on both High Sierra and Mojave

17 hours ago, relayer35 said:

I've had the problem on both High Sierra and Mojave

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of downgrading to El Capitan.

It's not a matter of the OS. It's the number of fonts active. Clearing the font cache is useless. You need to deactivate fonts, to get below a certain threshold. Restart the app when you've shaved off enough fonts and the app works as expected, but this is a miserable limitation that Serif should address or find a workaround for.

Why on earth should the number of fonts affect an image app, and why should it give a permission error? I shouldn't have to delete fonts in order to open an image file. (FWIW, I didn't go out of my way to install fonts, they either came with the OS or were installed by other programs). This is the only program I have that has this issue,

10 hours ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

It's not a matter of the OS. It's the number of fonts active. Clearing the font cache is useless. You need to deactivate fonts, to get below a certain threshold. Restart the app when you've shaved off enough fonts and the app works as expected, but this is a miserable limitation that Serif should address or find a workaround for.

How many fonts do I have to trim down? Looks like there is 245 on my machine now.