You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Inspiration) A unique 3D video

CartoonMike

Hi all, 

Although this isn't a AD resource, it is something that we, as creatives, need once in a while -- something to tickle our creative bones:

https://vimeo.com/114134370 -- this video is named Small Garden.

It's 10 mins long and, for me, one of the best animations I've seen lately (and I've seen Boxtrolls, Book of Life, the Lego Movie in the past few weeks).

I think eejits (nudge, nudge, George, :D ) of all kinds will enjoy it. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Course he will! Same goes for

• Ronnie for the soundtrack and planetary sequences
  • Rui for the 3D work, blood, sweat and tears aka coding
  • Sunset for the cuteness and textures
  • denironaut for the individual creatures
  • and the AD team for almost seeing the affinity logo @ 4:56
  • not forgetting the late Douglas Adams, as his big monolithic computer Deep Thought gets what looks like a cameo role.
  • and me for all of the above.

Nice Pink Floyd style in the evolution stage.

Shunsuke is definitely going places.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

@Peter: I wonder how it synchs up with "welcome to the machine" (from Wish you were here), hmm...?  It's kinda interesting how the story is a variation on Campbell's "Hero's Journey" in many ways, but is its own thing.

(PS Peter, check out the tags. Made one just for you! :P )

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Aw thanks mate. B)

There is a gas company here in Blighty British Gas (Owned by Centrica), who also sell electricity. They have been running a series of animated ads for a while now. These feature the voice of Timothy Spall (Auf Weidersehn Pet/Harry Potter) and the music is supplied by a certain band called Blur. This tennis ball style of planets/asteroids is very reminiscent of a book that goes by the title The Little Prince (No! Not the Nelson Rogers variety :P).

Shunsuke really needs to follow in the footsteps of Spirited Away. Needs to be seen by Mark Kermode, the BBC's renown film reviewer and harmonica player

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

@Peter: I wonder how it synchs up with "welcome to the machine" (from Wish you were here), hmm...?  It's kinda interesting how the story is a variation on Campbell's "Hero's Journey" in many ways, but is its own thing.

(PS Peter, check out the tags. Made one just for you! :P )

It does!

Aren't all stories based on Hero's journey?

Thanks for the tag.

I was thinking the Hero's journey as done by Lucas in the original Star Wars Trilogy. Was way too literal an implementation for my tastes. (Don't get me started on Star Wars...)

In the Small Garden, there wasn't a rebuffed "wise one" nor was there a refusal to do "that which must be done", so in many ways it was about the journey and the focal character basically just reacted to what was going on around it. Only at the end did the character actually do something. (being vague as not to spoil it for anyone). Also, being an work of fiction from the Eastern part of the world, the narrative structure is a bit different than the western-centric plot-driven fiction that embodies the Campbellian Hero's Journey. IOW, Little Garden was its own thing and any parallels to the Hero's Journey was a result of archtypes that we, as humans, have ingrained in our brain-pan.

And as long as I'm on this roll, the Hero's Journey is just a tarted-up 3 act play/story at it's root. It's not a bad thing; I like Campbell a lot, but all to often his work is used as nothing more than a check list for lazy writers. It's a helluva great template to be sure, but I tire from seeing it used/abused so much.

Exceptions to this are: Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear, Watchmen by Moore & Gibbons, Most every post-origin story in Superhero comics/adventure movie franchises, Any Doc Savage pulp novel and the TV series Alias (been bingewatching it on the Flix of Net) uses it mostly as a way to fake-out the viewer...

With that being said, the Lego Movie is a wonderful example of how the Hero's Journey can be parodied while still adhering to it and become something more than the sum of its parts (fitting, because Lego Blocks). While Guardians of the Galaxy showed how to pick and choose which H.J. elements to make use of while telling a darn entertaining and surprising story.

Okay, I'm done now. :)

---

and relax...yup it is a bit of a lazy tick list. All stories have a beginning, middle and an end as my English teachers used to churn out.

Regarding the wise one, did you see the Affinity logo in the cube? This could be that sentient being that exudes knowledge via osmosis or telepathy...who knows? if you recast the minion type characters as seeds and the big cube as the Sun, the story becomes less surreal and much more natural.

So what did you think of the BG adverts then?

This film works lovely with the Floyd track, but all things being equal most Floyd songs make great sound tracks anyway.

and relax...yup it is a bit of a lazy tick list. All stories have a beginning, middle and an end as my English teachers used to churn out.

Regarding the wise one, did you see the Affinity logo in the cube? This could be that sentient being that exudes knowledge via osmosis or telepathy...who knows? if you recast the minion type characters as seeds and the big cube as the Sun, the story becomes less surreal and much more natural.

So what did you think of the BG adverts then?

This film works lovely with the Floyd track, but all things being equal most Floyd songs make great sound tracks anyway.

Missed the Affinity logo. Must. Watch. Again. 

Nice take on the various characters "roles" in the story. Must. Watch. Again.

I don't watch Wizard of OZ without a bit of the Dark Side of the Moon blaring away. :)

If I was any more relaxed, I'd be asleep. 

---

It's either the Affinity logo or the Illuminati (the Barvarian guys and not the Marvel noobs. :D )

---