You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient tool on Affinity for iPad

• Staff

Hi zharry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the Gradient Tool then tap and drag on canvas to create the gradient. You can drag the gradient's handles on canvas to change the gradient's angle and tap the colour stops to change their colour in the Colour Studio. Also note the context toolbar on the bottom of the interface to change the gradient type (linear, elliptical etc) and rotate, reverse it etc.

To add additional colour stops, tap on the gradient handles on canvas. Currently there's no way to delete them but this should be addressed in one of the next updates. Drag the colour stops on canvas to adjust their positions.

• Staff

Hi zharry,

Yes, that happens in the desktop version as well. The Adjustment built-in mask works like a regular raster based mask. As soon as you deselect it the gradient gets baked to the mask.

Here's a way to keep the gradient editable: create the adjustment as usual, don't change its mask. Then create a new Fill Layer clicking the plus icon in the Layers Studio. Apply the gradient to this layer and set one of the colour stops to 0% opacity. Then in the Layers Studio tap and hold the Fill Layer until a thin blue line appears and drag it over the Exposure adjustment's thumbnail. You are now using the Fill Layer as a(n) (external) mask for the adjustment. This Fill layer will keep the gradient editable as you want.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this question was answered by MEB but I still struggled with what I feel should have been a very simple adjustment, I just wanted to darken the sky and lighten the beach for example but the YouTube tutorial is for the pc version and I spent hours trying to figure this out so for anyone else still scratching their head this is what I have found by trial and error works for me.

Objective to darken sky and lighten beach

1.Add new fill Layer 

Picture>Layers Studio> + >New fill layer

Now have blank grey screen

2.Select Gradient tool and drag from top down.

3.Layer Studio> ... > Change blend mode from Normal to Overlay

Should now see picture again

4.Colour Studio>Grey Sliders

5.Select/highlight top node/circle of Gradient line and change grey slider down to darken the top of picture/sky.

6.Select bottom node/circle and change slider up to make bottom of picture/beach lighter

Done

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2017 at 6:14 PM, Halfbake said:

I know this question was answered by MEB but I still struggled with what I feel should have been a very simple adjustment, I just wanted to darken the sky and lighten the beach for example but the YouTube tutorial is for the pc version and I spent hours trying to figure this out so for anyone else still scratching their head this is what I have found by trial and error works for me.

Objective to darken sky and lighten beach

1.Add new fill Layer 

Picture>Layers Studio> + >New fill layer

Now have blank grey screen

2.Select Gradient tool and drag from top down.

3.Layer Studio> ... > Change blend mode from Normal to Overlay

Should now see picture again

4.Colour Studio>Grey Sliders

5.Select/highlight top node/circle of Gradient line and change grey slider down to darken the top of picture/sky.

6.Select bottom node/circle and change slider up to make bottom of picture/beach lighter

Done

Sorry, I've tried this and this is not accurate.

• Staff

Hi kamphoto,

Welcome to Affinity Forums 

Generally speaking to use the Gradient Tool, select it from the Tools on the left and drag it on canvas to place/display the gradient's handles/controls (on canvas). Then tap the stop colour you want to adjust in the gradient handle and select the colour you want in the Colours Studio.

If you want to use the gradient on the built-in mask of a live Adjustment/Filter, select them in the layers panel and drag the Gradient Tool over the canvas. Since you are working on a (built-in) mask, the luminosity of the gradient's colours will affect the opacity/effect of that adjustment/filter/fill on the layers below. Black will block/hide the effect of the adjustment layer, while white will let it pass through entirely. Greys will affects more or less depending if they are closer to white or black.

For example:

- open a JPG image (not a RAW to ensure it will be opened in Photo Persona already)

- add an Exposure Adjustment to the image you have just opened from the Adjustments Studio.

- increase the value of the exposure in the context toolbar on the bottom considerably (just to make it clearly visible for now - you can re-adjust the value later)

- open the Layers Studio and select the Exposure Adjustment layer

- select the Gradient Tool and drag it over the image vertically - the gradient handle will be displayed over the image (you should see changes to the exposure immediately depending on the colour/luminosity selected for each colour stop

- tap on the top colour stop and set it to black in the Colour Studio

- tap on the bottom colour stop and set it to black as well

Since both stop colours were set to Black the Exposure Adjustment will be blocked/hidden and will not affect the image

- change one of the colour stops to white (the bottom one for example) and the Exposure Adjustment will affect just the bottom of the image.

- you an also use the Paint Brush Tool to paint on built-in masks

If you double tap the Exposure Adjustment layer in the Layers Studio you can (re) adjust the Exposure globally.

HI kamphoto,  

Step 1.  Highlight Background layer

Step 2.  Add New Fill Layer (+ sign in headers)

Step 3.  Bottom of screen select Solid

Step 4.  Select Colour icon (just below Layers icon)

Step 5.  Select LAB Sliders - Set Lightness to 50%, other sliders at default.

Step 6.  Select Layers ( screen will be 50% grey at this point)

Step 7.  Select Layers options (circle with ... within)

Step 8.  Change Normal to Overlay ( screen will now reveal your photo)

Step 9.  Bottom of screen select Linear 

Step 10.  (On the tool bar, the gradient tool should/will be selected) Drag finger or pencil from top to bottom.

Step 11.  Tap on top dot at top of gradient line and open Colour icon, drag Lightness to the left to darken to your desire

Step 12.  Tap on bottom dot and drag the lightness slider to the right to lighten to your desire.

At this point you can use the line which will be between the middle of the dots up or down as well you can use the Opacity slider 

You can also add colour points to the line by tapping on the gradient line.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi erickb,
With the object and the Fill Tool selected tap the node you want to make transparent in the gradient handle that appears over the object on canvas, go to the Colour studio a set the Opacity slider (below the colony wheel or slider depending how you have you panel setup) to 0%.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:12 AM, MEB said:

Hi zharry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the Gradient Tool then tap and drag on canvas to create the gradient. You can drag the gradient's handles on canvas to change the gradient's angle and tap the colour stops to change their colour in the Colour Studio. Also note the context toolbar on the bottom of the interface to change the gradient type (linear, elliptical etc) and rotate, reverse it etc.

To add additional colour stops, tap on the gradient handles on canvas. Currently there's no way to delete them but this should be addressed in one of the next updates. Drag the colour stops on canvas to adjust their positions.

When you say Gradient Tool, I see nonesuch on my iPad for AD.  In the MAC version I see Gradient Map under layers.  After seeing the Dream Styles / Affinity Resources website I was able to use their styles on my MAC (but not the iPad), and noticed they also have gradients available for download.  How would I have AD (in the MAC, or the iPad, or both) access the Dream Styles gradients - can they be imported, or ???

Thanks much !!!

40 minutes ago, JustRob said:

When you say Gradient Tool, I see nonesuch on my iPad for AD.

It’s called the Fill Tool in AD. It’s between the Pen Tool and the Transparency Tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)