You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @Przemek,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thank you for your feedback. I will pass it to Ben for consideration.
Meanwhile, I don't know if you are already aware, but if you select each rotated object and press Add (boolean operation) - to add it to itself - it resets/fixes the rotation issue (you can set up a shortcut for this to speed it up a little bit). You can also select multiple rotated objects (those that use the same fill/attributes) and Add them all together than Divide (boolean operation), to fix the issue to more than one object at once (you can do it for objects with different fills but they will end up all with the same fill after the Add operation so you have to set the fills again).

Hi @MEB,

Thanks for the welcome and your answer+hint. I am aware of that. The only thing is that this way the object is turned to curves. I once did it when I was trying out a curved corners bar chart. As you might expect all my rounded corners got baked and once the Client and I rejected this idea, I had to redo the entire chart from scratch. At that stage I didn't have charts to copy so I already spend some time designing the rejected chart.

Looking forward to the latest update and keeping my fingers crossed about the Base Box overwrite ;) 

Come to this late, not digested the whole thread so apologies. This stumped me because of the way it displayed and I couldn't see the rotation thingie (what are they called?).

As someone else has already requested above, I'd like to add to the request. That the element retains a memory of which it has been last set to. The default Base Box OR the Regular Bounds. Thank you.

If I set this element to the Regular Box, then deselect it.
Uh-ho, need to tweak it a bit more..
Doh, not: 1) select > 2) rotate...
But: 1) select > 2) toggle (sorry 'cycle') selection box > 3) now rotate...
Gets really tedious really quickly when trying to make fine aesthetic adjustments... which is kind of my job 😋 .

And when would I ever want to use Base Box with this element? (Yes, I know I created this by using the node tool on it at some point - this illustrates why people are requesting the ability to reset the Base Box)

(Publisher btw, though it might look like the kind of work you'd do in Designer).

Hope this helps make things really-really clear.

As others have said, the more I use these app the more I think they're a great start. Some fundamentals seem weird, but hopeful they'll be sorted in time. It's all workable right now.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 11.54.16.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, waveman777 said:

and tell me how can I reset the bounding box in one of the elements...

If you don't mind it being converted to Curves, select it and click the Add button on the Toolbar, or Layer > Geometry > Add from the menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you don't mind it being converted to Curves, select it and click the Add button on the Toolbar, or Layer > Geometry > Add from the menu.

That worked! Thank you Walt! 

I only don't quite understand why some random objects have different bounding boxes then the others and what causes it... Any thoughts? Cheers!

3 hours ago, waveman777 said:

I only don't quite understand why some random objects have different bounding boxes then the others and what causes it... Any thoughts?

You're welcome.

Without watching you create that document, sorry, no ideas on that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

To reset a bounding box "permanently" yet non-destructively, group the object with itself:

Edited by loukash
compacted *.mov to to *.mp4

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, MEB said:

if you select each rotated object and press Add (boolean operation) - to add it to itself - it resets/fixes the rotation issue

Awesome tip. I was exporting rotated objects to SVG and importing them into a web app which added its own coordinate system so resetting the bounding box made my life much easier.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
57 minutes ago, Garret said:

Layer > Geometry > Add works for some individual shapes but what if I have hundreds of shapes? And it never works for simple lines, what to do then?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Garret. :)

As long as they’re non-overlapping, you can select multiple shapes and Boolean ‘Add’ them to reset the rotation, and then ‘Divide’ to break them up into separate shapes. As for ‘simple’ lines, it works if they’re straight (but not otherwise, as far as I can see).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

+1 for resetting the "Base Box" permanently. When I am selecting many groups, the visual clutter of all the oversize base boxes makes work quite difficult and annoying. Please see the attached screenshot. The groups consist only of simple line segments. I don't know why the base boxes remain so big.

I really hoped this would have been fixed in version 2!

basebox.jpg

Edited by Brian Chan
attached image, changed description

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

+1 big time!

On 2/25/2023 at 8:27 PM, Brian Chan said:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, my geometries (origami diagrams) need to have polygons overlaid with separate groups of floating line segments and the "Add" function messes up things rather than helping. 

Likewise - I am using Designer for Origami diagrams / designs and I'm running into this annoying issue. Ungrouped, all my curves fit into the bounding box that you would expect, but when grouped the bounding box expands and I have no way of resetting the group's bounding box. I don't want to have 160 objects ungrouped just to get around a simple bounding box issue.

2021 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Current Beta versions.