Creavite

Crash and Data Loss

Hi. First, I have to say thank you. This app is huge.

Trying to learn the interface, I worked on a project for about an hour and a half, and suddenly the app crashed. I can't tell if I was doing something specific (such as using a specific tool), but it suddenly turned black and crashed. When I opened it up again, the project I was working on was gone, completly.

That's a huge problem for me. Other apps like procreate are doing a great job on preserving changes even when the app crashes, and I find it really reliable.

I love your app, and I know fixing A misterious bug like this could be a huge pain in the ass, but also working on a project for hours and then loosing it a brief second.

Anyways, thanks for working hard and finally bringing us desktop class photo editing software to iPad, hoping for your help.

Same thing just happened to me after 2 hours of work. I normally use Procreate and this seemed a viable option to move forward. i thought this app auto Saved?

After the crash I checked the setting and realized there is some kind of auto save. I have no idea how it works, but it makes sense to me that it is auto saving over the same file, not a copy of it, which could explain why it was gone completely after the crash. I really like the way Procreate handles those stuff, kinda want to use Affinity as much as I use Procreate but bugs like these could be deal breakers.

It's like wearing a timebomb without knowing when it is going to explode...

I completely agree with this. Clarification as to where the autosaved backups are located and how to restore them would (as per the help document) be quite useful!

I have had the same experience with losing all my work. Very, very frustrating! It has happened several times. Just now the app crashed when I was trying to add a new photo as a layer. Please help!!!

Hi everyone. I've just spent some time looking into this and although I have seen a few users (in other threads too) say they have lost work after a crash, I have never been able to reproduce it. As long as it crashed after my 300 second auto-save it always recovered the document.

The fact it didn't recover the document after 2 hours from @mkwigglesworth is astonishing.

What is the total and available space on your iPad's? I'm wondering if the app is creating a huge file and running out of space and the auto-save is causing a crash when there is no space left and possibly removing the file from existence. We have a 32GB Pro so I'll see if I can look into testing that theory. 

Hi everyone. I've just spent some time looking into this and although I have seen a few users (in other threads too) say they have lost work after a crash, I have never been able to reproduce it. As long as it crashed after my 300 second auto-save it always recovered the document.

The fact it didn't recover the document after 2 hours from @mkwigglesworth is astonishing.

What is the total and available space on your iPad's? I'm wondering if the app is creating a huge file and running out of space and the auto-save is causing a crash when there is no space left and possibly removing the file from existence. We have a 32GB Pro so I'll see if I can look into testing that theory. 

Hey Chris,

I use an iPad Pro 128gb with 80GB of space left. I haven't used it for professional work since as I can't run the risk of losing work like that again. That said I really like the software and have both desktop versions. So I really want to start using this as my main software but until I get a confirmation the bug is fixed I hesitant to. Cheers though :)

Hey mkwigglesworth,

Ah I doubt you're running out of space with 80GB left then. I noticed the app will crash if the iPad does run out of memory with a file open but it did seem to recover the file. Since this thread started, development have submitted a number of fixes for an internal build for stability so hopefully when this gets pushed to release, you can try it out and see if it has improved. If it hasn't, we will need to do some more investigation. 

I've had this exact same thing happen to me. Makes it very frustrating.  The crash happens at odd times and I've never been able to repeat it or pin down a specific filter or tool that causes it. 

I've resorted to tapping on the back arrow (upper left of program) to go back to the main library screen.  Then it saves my work up to that point. Then if the program crashes it usually will pick up back from that point.  So I don't lose all work. 

I've had this exact same thing happen to me. Makes it very frustrating.  The crash happens at odd times and I've never been able to repeat it or pin down a specific filter or tool that causes it. 

I've resorted to tapping on the back arrow (upper left of program) to go back to the main library screen.  Then it saves my work up to that point. Then if the program crashes it usually will pick up back from that point.  So I don't lose all work. 

That's fine if you can remember to do it but you shouldn't have to. I think we've acknowledged an issue here, we just need to pin it down. 

Stuck in the limbo between wanting to design something to see if it recovers the file, and not wanting to lose my work and go through that frustration again

Hey Creavite,

How much space do you have on your iPad? Try changing your Save interval to 60 seconds instead of 300 in preferences. You can also try pressing Home every 5 mins or so and see if that helps. You shouldn't have to do this but I'd be interested to see if it makes a difference. The release version is due an update as I'm about 5 builds ahead at the moment and significant improvements have been made so far.