You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

iPad Pro 12.9 inch.

I'm new to Affinity Photo. Been using Photoshop for years and when selecting a color using the eyedropper tool, the selected color is readily available for using with the different brushes/tools.

When selecting a color using the color picker tool with Affinity for iPad and switching to the brush tool, I was expecting to see and use the selected color but it's not the case.

How do I pick a color using the Color Picker Tool ?

Stephan

• Staff

Hi phanault,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do you have Auto-apply enabled in the context toolbar on the bottom of the interface (with the Colour Picker Tool selected)? It must have a thin grey outline around the circle. This will set the foreground colour to the picked colour rather than just storing it in the Colour Studio (colour picker well on the left).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi jdgoesmarching,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you referring to the Colour Picker Tool, or the color pickers you find on the studios/panels etc?

We already have a bug logged for the Colour Picker Tool but i don't know if it's the same you are referring to.

Can you detail/describe what's not working for you?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all, again I am new to this forum, please be gentle.

I cannot select a colour using the colour picker tool either.  

I select the eyedropper, click on the colour.  At the bottom of the screen there "Auto-apply" has a grey circle around it.  When i go to the paint brush the colour isn't there and it auto paints black in.

Is there a fix for this?

I will try a screen recording and upload it to see if this shows it better (if it works).

ScreenRecording_10-06-2017 10:57.MP4

Edited by pmessingham
screen recording added

I have also a color issue too! When painting in Affinity Photo at my iPad Pro 12.9, I use the color wheel or at the brush the circle with the color.

I want to use real black or white after using an other color for instance red but there will be a shade of red.

The same is at the other colors, after using yellow it is a bit beige and blue and green has the same effect. 

So black is never real deed black and white not realy white. How do I get real black and white? 

• 1 month later...

Seems both colour picker and auto apply to brush are not working. I follow the steps in help but brush remains black. Can use the colour wheel to change colour but not an ideal workaround. Bug report has been made (according to earlier posts) so hopefully an update will be available before too long.

Perhaps Moderators could confirm this issue is being looked at and indicate whether we might see a fix this side of Xmas.

cheers

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Apparently, the Auto-Apply on the ColourPicker's context-toolbar relates only to any selected object/s.

Not to the active tool (eg brush, bucket) nor to a selection(mask), but only a selected object...

And, to colour-pick while the brush is active, a long-press of finger or pencil brings out the selector zone. (This not - that I could find - mentioned in Help file).

Thanks Glenn! That helps a lot.

The long-press with the brush active does most of what I want (but only with my finger, not my pencil).

I also sort-of worked out how to use the colour picker in the Colour Studio—it's a bit convoluted (having to click and drag the colour picker icon in the Colour Studio in order to 'load' the colour picker colour, and then click the foreground or background colour and then back to the loaded colour picker colour) but at least it gets there in the end.

I still don't understand why the Colour Picker Tool only applies to vector objects though—it seems very counter-intuitive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi, Hope this helps. ( I work on a Mac), and am also learning.

To pick a colour for use on a layer with a brush or in text mode : -

(a) Highlight the layer which contains the desired colour.

(b) Select the Colour picker tool.

(c) Use the mouse to click on the desired colour in the image.

You will receive a message such as ".....colour added to pallet... "

You can now use the colour with the brush or in the text mode. 

On the Brush Box on the right, you may have to make the selected colour active by switching the two overlapping circles so that the selected colour can be used.