You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.72

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is the second beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed rendering problems with Windows Display Scale set to something other than 100% or 200%
  • Fixed a variety of Light UI bugs
  • Added option to use High Precision input from WinTab (Wacom and compatible) devices (off by default)

Known Issues

• Huion tablets are failing to provide input

Using the dark UI, the glyphs in the Glyph Browser are nearly black (#0D0D0D) on a dark grey (#333333) background, so there is much too little contrast for comfortable viewing. The samples in the Typography panel are displayed on the same dark grey background, but using an off-white (at or near #E5E5E5) which is quite legible.

Switching to the light UI, the background in the Glyph Browser and the Typography panel is light grey but the glyph colours are much the same as in the dark UI, so the problem is reversed: the Glyph Browser samples are quite legible but the Typography samples are not.

Trivially, neither of the 'UI Style' buttons in Preferences was drawn in the active state when I first launched the previous version 1.6 beta build. I don't see that problem now, but I've no idea whether that's because this is an update rather than a completely new installation.  As shown in the attached screenshot, I'm still seeing the same thing in Affinity Photo after updating from build 1.6.0.70.

post-8358-0-57853700-1496962579_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

German:

Hallo, die 72 ist wie die 71 unbenutzbar: Mauszeiger blendet sich aus; Verschieben von Objekten mit seltsamen Ergebnissen; die helle Oberfläche ist störisch... Sowohl beim Designer als auch Photo. Danke.

Google:

Hello, the 72 is like the 71 unused: mouse pointer blends itself out; Moving objects with strange results; The light surface is stubborn ... Both the designer and the photo. Thank you.

I7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750i, 8 GB of RAM, Intuos3 newest driver, Win10 home

• Staff

Using the dark UI, the glyphs in the Glyph Browser are nearly black (#0D0D0D) on a dark grey (#333333) background, so there is much too little contrast for comfortable viewing. The samples in the Typography panel are displayed on the same dark grey background, but using an off-white (at or near #E5E5E5) which is quite legible.

Switching to the light UI, the background in the Glyph Browser and the Typography panel is light grey but the glyph colours are much the same as in the dark UI, so the problem is reversed: the Glyph Browser samples are quite legible but the Typography samples are not.

Trivially, neither of the 'UI Style' buttons in Preferences was drawn in the active state when I first launched the previous version 1.6 beta build. I don't see that problem now, but I've no idea whether that's because this is an update rather than a completely new installation.  As shown in the attached screenshot, I'm still seeing the same thing in Affinity Photo after updating from build 1.6.0.70.

These are all known issues and with development to fix.

• Staff

German:

Hallo, die 72 ist wie die 71 unbenutzbar: Mauszeiger blendet sich aus; Verschieben von Objekten mit seltsamen Ergebnissen; die helle Oberfläche ist störisch... Sowohl beim Designer als auch Photo. Danke.

Google:

Hello, the 72 is like the 71 unused: mouse pointer blends itself out; Moving objects with strange results; The light surface is stubborn ... Both the designer and the photo. Thank you.

I7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750i, 8 GB of RAM, Intuos3 newest driver, Win10 home

Hi Skaties,

The mouse pointer disappearing is a known issue and with development to fix. It happens after using Brush smoothing.

However would you be able to create two new threads (as oppossed to replies in here) about your other two issues please so we can investigate them. If you could give some steps and screenshots showing the issue rather than a couple of words would be very useful to us. Your current descriptions are not useful to me and do not indicate the problem you are suffering from.

Google Translate

--------------------------

Hallo Skaties,

Der Mauszeiger verschwindet ein bekanntes Problem und mit der Entwicklung zu beheben. Es passiert nach der Verwendung von Brush Glättung.

Allerdings wärst du in der Lage, zwei neue Threads zu erstellen (im Gegensatz zu Antworten hierher) über deine anderen zwei Fragen bitte, damit wir sie untersuchen können. Wenn Sie einige Schritte und Screenshots mit dem Problem statt ein paar Worte geben könnte, wäre uns sehr nützlich. Ihre aktuellen Beschreibungen sind nicht sinnvoll für mich und geben Sie nicht das Problem, das Sie leiden.

German:

a) Mauszeiger...

b) Beim Verschieben von Objekten bildet sich ein Schatten, der dem eigentlichen Objekt nachläuft, sich ausblendet, dann als Fragment wieder sichtbar wird oder als Linie, sehr seltsam
c) Auf der hellen Oberfläche spinnt die Maus meines Wacom Intuos3 (Stift und Maus), zuckelt, wird über den Layern plötzlich schneller, dann wieder langsamer und blendet sich aus. Wahrscheinlich ein a)-Problem...

Google:

a) Mouse pointer ...

b) When moving objects to a shadow that lags the actual object, fades, then becomes visible again as a fragment or as a line forming, very strange
c) On the bright surface, the mouse of my Wacom Intuos3 (pencil and mouse) spins, becomes suddenly faster over the layers, then slows down and blends itself out. Probably an a) problem ...

These [uI bugs] are all known issues and with development to fix.

Thanks for confirming that, Sean. I had hoped these issues might have come under "Fixed a variety of Light UI bugs" as mentioned in Mark's OP.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

German:

a) Mauszeiger...

B) Beim Verschieben von Objekten bildet sich ein Schatten, der dem eigentlichen Objekt nachläuft, sich ausblendet, dann als Fragment wieder sichtbar wird oder als Linie, sehr seltsam

c) Auf der hellen Oberfläche spinnt die Maus meines Wacom Intuos3 (Stift und Maus), zuckelt, wird über den Layern plötzlich schneller, dann wieder langsamer und blendet sich aus. Wahrscheinlich ein a)-Problem...

Google:

a) Mouse pointer ...

B) When moving objects to a shadow that lags the actual object, fades, then becomes visible again as a fragment or as a line forming, very strange

c) On the bright surface, the mouse of my Wacom Intuos3 (pencil and mouse) spins, becomes suddenly faster over the layers, then slows down and blends itself out. Probably an a) problem ...

Hallo Skaties,
A. Dies ist bereits angemeldet und mit der Entwicklung zu beheben
B. Würdest du in der Lage sein, eine Videoaufzeichnung deines Bildes zu sehen, die dieses Problem zeigt?
C. Wieder wäre es möglich für Sie, um eine Video-Aufnahme Ihres Bildschirms mit diesem Problem zu tun?

-------------------------

Hi Skaties,

a. This is already logged and with development to fix

b. Would you be able to a video recording of your screen showing this issue please?

c. Again would it be possible for you to do to a video recording of your screen showing this issue?

• Staff

Export to SVG does not remember settings. Goes back to default.

http://imgur.com/a/BEZyP

When having a gradient selected as fill-color I double-click the color icon and then I see NO colorfield to select a color.

NOTE: I did not select an object. Clicking on an object moves the color-pointer in the colorpicker. But still does not show any colors.

http://imgur.com/a/963bN

Hi Bas Smits,

I've reproduced both of these so I will get them reported to development. Thanks for letting us know. :)

• Staff

I still have some positioning problems when using a file made in 1.5.3.

a group of 2 text layers suddely is somwehere quite different in 1.6.

Would you be able to attach the file at all please so we can take a look into this please?

okay. tell me when you have it so I can kick it into oblivion (also why does this forum software's default uploader need flash, HTML5 has been there for quite a while by now)

Regards.

• Staff

okay. tell me when you have it so I can kick it into oblivion (also why does this forum software's default uploader need flash, HTML5 has been there for quite a while by now)

Regards.

Downloaded now thanks. As for the forum software unfortunately I can't answer that, you'd have to ask IPBoard themselves.

• Staff

I still have some positioning problems when using a file made in 1.5.3.

a group of 2 text layers suddely is somwehere quite different in 1.6.

Looking at the file I can't see any immediately obvious reason as to why the text is in a different position. I'll get it passed onto development and let them know. Thanks!

well I usually dont do too much weird stuff (the only weird thing I notice more often than i like is that symbols' text frames really like to desync without me even shutting sync off, but that isnt beta)

So what's actually new in the 1.6 beta?

The Light UI option, the stabilizer for the Pencil and Brush tools, and the Glyph Browser panel are all new in version 1.6.

Alfred spacer.png