You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Size Preview (Affinity Photo for iPad)

• 2 weeks later...

+another one

I thought it was just me until I found all these requests. This is the kind of thing I was referring to in one of my posts recently about the iPad interface being confusing - though it’s not the only thing. If one selects a layer or mask, and that is indicated in the stack it’s then very disconcerting to find that there is no really good visual feedback. I did manage to do some sharpening of small area of an image tonight by brushing over a layer mask, and the results aren’t too bad, but I felt that I was working blind. It’s also not helpful for demonstrating to other people.

Not quite related to the topic - see following post.

1. How can I delete a post once posted?

2. Can I turn on notifications for replies to a post if I forget to do it at first?

If anyone can reply to the two queries that would be great, and if an admin or other can delete this post then that would be good.

Edited by dave2017
Trying to delete this one - the one below should have notifications activated

+another one

I thought it was just me until I found all these requests. This is the kind of thing I was referring to in one of my posts recently about the iPad interface being confusing - though it’s not the only thing. If one selects a layer or mask, and that is indicated in the stack it’s then very disconcerting to find that there is no really good visual feedback. I did manage to do some sharpening of small area of an image tonight by brushing over a layer mask, and the results aren’t too bad, but I felt that I was working blind. It’s also not helpful for demonstrating to other people.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Funny, I am desperately trying to get rid of the brush outline on Windows (some outlines heavily distract while drawing), while obviously a lot of folks want the exact opposite here. Affinity would best serve all if this became part of user preferences.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems that this problem has been known for some time, yet there is little evidence of a fix coming along soon. The comment about Windows suggests that there are different issues for the desktop versions. I use a Mac for "desktop" work, but the iPad version is hopeless for some applications even with an Apple pencil, as it's not possible to see what's actually happening well enough.

In the meantime Serif seem to be putting effort into Publisher and other products. This is a pity, as perhaps a little attention to some problems and user feedback for existing products would pay dividends. I still fee that the Serif tools are good, but the problem with not being able to see the size of the brush with visual feedback in the iPad versions is a real pain.

45 minutes ago, dave2017 said:

In the meantime Serif seem to be putting effort into Publisher and other products.

I stopped using AFPhoto 18 months ago, due to the extensive masking bugs.  None fixed to date.  I bought but never used AFPhoto iPad, but decided to give it a try out a few days ago, as I had to work on a legacy file.  Disappointed to find more masking/brushes bugs and tools which lack functionality compared to the desktop version.

When Serif first launched the AFDesigner/Photo betas, the company performance and responsiveness to comments, bug reports and feature requests was phenomenal.  I think they've made strategic mistakes in expanding too fast, though obviously they would completely disagree ... it's incredibly hard to build a good reputation, but very easy to loose it.  My own view is they need to build bug free apps, before they move onto more (presumably bug filled) apps.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...