You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey everyone! I'm trying to figure out how to take the text that I have on my image, and instead, cut those words out from the image to expose the background. I'm making a logo with a transparent background, and I want the text to expose the color of whatever the backdrop is at the time. I'm new to this, and so I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Thanks!

OK, I think  I know what you mean. You want the letters to act like pastry cutters, and leave letter shaped holes. If this is the case, then is sounds like Bolean operation, using the subtract function. This is something I have yet to master myself. If you ask one of these for help then you should get the desired results: cartoonmike, MEB, MattP. There is also a video at vimeo that shows how to do something similar to this. HTH.

https://app.box.com/...7u2wscuxxra1e1y is well recommended: the pumpkin tutorial.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• Staff

There's several ways to achieve this. Here's the easiest:

1 - put your text above your image

2 - change the blend mode of the text to erase (the drop down on the top of the layers panel).

The text is still editable. Optionally you can select both the image and the text and group them (to make it easier to move as a single object).

2 - change the blend mode of the text to erase (the drop down on the top of the layers panel).

The text is still editable. Optionally you can select both the image and the text and group them (to make it easier to move as a single object).

Without grouping it doesn't work for me in the latest beta, but grouped it is perfect. Thanks! :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi Alex,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure i understood your question. If you change the Blend mode of a layer to Erase it should leave you with a 100% transparent background (displayed as a checkerboard pattern) - unless the layer is inside a group. In that case it will affect only the other layers inside the group.

If you then export your document to a format that supports transparency (like PNG for example), those parts should appear transparent.

Thank you for your quick response. I do see a checkerboard pattern background, the problem starts when I export in svg format for web. On a light grey background I can see "blend mode erase patches" which are not visible in Affinity Designer. They they are white on a light grey background.  - [EDIT ] link removed -. This site is under construction. Please do not make it public.

The other problem is that the right side patch is displaced. Letter T should have cut under 45 degrees top corner, on exported psd it is shifted to the right side and does not cover end of the letter T and red parallelogram in the top left corner is out of proportions(much bigger) in relation to the text.

Thank you. Alex.

I do see a checkerboard pattern background, the problem starts when I export in svg format for web. On a light grey background I can see "blend mode erase patches" which are not visible in Affinity Designer. They they are white on a light grey background.

Without a screen shot as a reference, it is hard to understand what you mean but is this something other than the web page background color or pattern showing through?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Alex,

Regarding the SVG export: this is expected. Currently it doesn't support other Blend mode other than Normal.

Can you provide us the original afdesign file used to export the SVG so we can check the rermaining issues?

You can use this link to upload the files to my Dropbox account.

Thank you. The other big problem I found is that the same .svg containing text is shown in a different font family in Firefox compared to Chrome. I am referring to the same .svg that you were inspecting. As a result of changing font family and style all my efforts of masking part of the first letter failed. Orange background is partially exposed, "dot" is shown, and masking is moved up a bit eating the top part of letter D. Can you please have a look at this problem as well?

post-26959-0-58002400-1455221549_thumb.png

post-26959-0-68825000-1455221662_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Alex,

It shows the same font for me in all browsers (see screenshot). But if you want to make sure it will look absolutely the same independent of the font used you can convert the text to curves when exporting the SVG (so all text is converted to paths, no fonts are used).

To do this go to File ▸ Export, select SVG (for web) then click on the More button on the bottom of the dialog and check Export text as curves. Then export the file.

post-59-0-96609200-1455278793_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I assume im just being super stupid, but with the description you left for step 2 i cant understand what drop down you're referring to. When i click the drop down in the layers panel i get one option which is AUTO-SCROLL.

• Staff

Hi caseyrtomberlin,

I'm referring to the Blend Mode dropdown (the one you have opened in your screenshot in the Layers panel). If you set it to Erase (you have to scroll the list down to see the Erase Blend mode) the letters will erase everything below them letting you see the background of the document (unless they are placed with the image inside a group - in that case the letters will only delete the image/contents inside that group) 

On 1/14/2018 at 5:29 AM, MEB said:

Hi caseyrtomberlin,

I'm referring to the Blend Mode dropdown (the one you have opened in your screenshot in the Layers panel). If you set it to Erase (you have to scroll the list down to see the Erase Blend mode) the letters will erase everything below them letting you see the background of the document (unless they are placed with the image inside a group - in that case the letters will only delete the image/contents inside that group) 

My man, thank you 

• 3 months later...
On 1/15/2015 at 1:54 PM, MEB said:

This helped me immensely. On the iPad in the layers drop down, if you hit the left arrow next to the word “normal” it immediately negates the text while also allowing further text manipulation. See image. 

87E071F3-FD09-452F-A23A-783005A6C5B2.jpeg