You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy & paste vector between this and other apps, Blend tool

I still keep thinking that these effects can also be achieved easily through power duplicate/a general purpose duplicate command with parameters (transform per iteration and how many iterations to do). I also used to view the Blend Tool as a pre-requisite, but I'm really not missing it yet... I'll have a think on it...

I've only just seen this thread, thanks to ZaraJoon's having woken it up with a link to Andrea Minini's wonderful work. I'm amazed to read, Matt, that you think (or at least thought 2½ years ago) a general purpose duplicate command with parameters would serve as a suitable substitute for blending between two objects, given all the things that you can't do by duplicating or power duplicating a single object. You only have to look at the controls for the Blend Tool in DrawPlus (position and attributes profiles, and specifying the path between the end colours) to see what I mean.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2014 at 5:45 AM, MattP said:

Really great illustrations, retrograde!  :)

I still keep thinking that these effects can also be achieved easily through power duplicate/a general purpose duplicate command with parameters (transform per iteration and how many iterations to do). I also used to view the Blend Tool as a pre-requisite, but I'm really not missing it yet... I'll have a think on it...

Thanks,

Matt

Hi everyone!

I too, see a real need for the Blend Tool in AD, and do not want to see this lost in the crowd. I consider this to have MUCH more value and utility than, say the heart shape tool or some of the other shape tools. Those tools are cool and somewhat useful, but they  can all be done easily with just the basic shapes. I mean, does anyone know of a graphic designer who cannot make a heart shape in their sleep?

@MattP the stuff you can do the the Blend Tool are quite complex; are you sure that we can do them all in AD without this tool? Some of those instant Blend Tool effects I have seen look like they would take hours to reproduce, even with using Power Duplicate. ;)

Everyone, have you come across any good tutorials for how to do Blend Tool effects without the Blend Tool?

• 2 months later...

maybe I'm not understanding something about how duplicate works in AD, but I'd like to see you make something like this in 10 minutes in Designer. Blend tool may be crude but it gets the job done and fast. I feel like gradient meshes SHOULD be doing a lot of this work, but they just don't. But then, maybe I just don't get it as I haven't used meshes much.
I'd be pretty screwed if I used Designer and a client asked for long faded shadows, for instance.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 21.50.17.png

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a bit like Brexit: NO BLEND is better than an alternative to Blend!

I understand the spirit behind wanting to be better than... but it's worth remembering what happened to leading companies such as Raspberry, Nokia and Kodak when they failed to listen to and understand their customers!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/14/2017 at 2:12 AM, ZaraJoon said:

Blend tool is needed!. if you are still looking for an example, check Andrea Minini's work.

post-27513-0-08523900-1494746048_thumb.jpg

post-27513-0-67890200-1494746049_thumb.jpg

This I like. Doing this by hand would so time consuming.

Best regards!

On 3/8/2019 at 10:03 AM, jstnhllmn said:

This thread was started in 2014.

Ouch. Imagine if Serif doesn't make it better... o.O

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.