Pauscorpi

Drawing /Painting Bugs

Firstly, Thank you for getting Photo on the iPad! I've been excited for it ever since it was first announced and I cannot wait until some initial bugs are fixed to make it my main software :)

Now that's out the way, here is my feedback. For some context, I am an illustrator, so I will mainly use Photo for drawing, though I employ a lot of retouching techniques throughout the process and for print prep. I work on a 12.9 iPad Pro, 256GB, an year old. I drew on a standard A4 and a 14000x9000 pixel Adobe RGB (1998) documents, used a basic round brush and DAUB ink and marker brush so far. The bugs I encountered seemed consistent across the board. Here they are in order of personal importance ^.^:

1) Palm Rejection: dysfunctional. Almost every time my hand touches the screen, Photo would register a mark, taking a lot of time to undo/erase unwanted strokes. I'm luck in that when not tired, I can hold the pen high without touching the working surface but few people work that way and I cannot maintain it when tired. Unfortunately, the frequency of occurrence could render Photo unreliable/unusable for professional painting jobs on a tight deadline.

2) "Merged Layer" Brush Lag: Whenever I merge layers and would proceed to work on the newly merged one, brush strokes would lag to the point where I need to start a new layer on top. It also happens if I duplicate a merged layer and work on the copy. 

3) "Zoom/Preview" Stroke Noise: On a number of occasions, the strokes would appear jagged (as in sharply cut at places, not from unstable pressure) when I work zoomed out and only appear smooth once I zoom in 100%. This is also severely disruptive as it means I need to double check every stroke when it happens. Similarly, sometimes, while I draw a stroke it would  have a brief pixelated (preview, i guess?) appearance which would return to normal once the stroke is done. Workflow-wise, it has the same effect as a lag.

4) "Permanent" Brush Edits:  While the Manual says brushes can be permanently edited and saved for use across documents, I found this not to be the case. I can create a new brush category and have a brush saved there, but so far, even though I have switched on 'Synchronise tools', every time I open a new document or reopen an existing one, the brushes for both Paint and Erase brush would be a default soft round brush and I would have to manually reselect the once that l last used and assigned for Paint and Erase, respectively. Also, I seem unable to save a brush I have modified while using unless I go through the New Category which takes me to a default basic brush to modify anew in the studio.

5) Basic Brush initial Blobs: i saw this mentioned already. If i want to use a basic brush for ink/painting, no matter how much I modify the pressure curve, there is a blob at the beginning of a (mostly lighter) stroke. While the DAUB brushes are nice, there are certain things I use with modified basic brushes which I can't due to this.

6) Wishlist: an 'Undo' gesture or the ability to move only the 'Undo/redo' buttons across the workspace ^.^

1) Palm Rejection: dysfunctional. Almost every time my hand touches the screen, Photo would register a mark

I am finding the palm rejection to be extremely good. After reading your experience I did a bit of experimenting. I can in fact now get a mark from my hand but only if I deliberately touch the screen first with a knuckle. Whenever the fleshy part of my hand touches first I get no mark.

I am finding the palm rejection to be extremely good. After reading your experience I did a bit of experimenting. I can in fact now get a mark from my hand but only if I deliberately touch the screen first with a knuckle. Whenever the fleshy part of my hand touches first I get no mark.

That is certainly some effort to get a mark! :) Thanks for letting me know, certainly gives me hope. I paid more attention after reading your reply and noticed that it does happen more often (but not exclusively; in addition, sometimes just a tip of a finger supporting the pencil or the 'knuckle' at the wrist/pal juncture might cause it) when a knuckle touches the screen. That said, I have long and very bony fingers and hands. There is no position to rest my hand where I can only have enough flesh touching the screen.  The only comparison I can draw is to my experience drawing in the same way I always do in Procreate where that has never been an issue. I will update after a few more days of drawing, but so far I have complete a couple of drawings and it's been the same.

I don't know if I should make a new post for this, but I'll include it here because it falls under this topic and also because I'm not certain whether or not it's a bug or user error on my part.

I'm finding that if I switch to a DAUB watercolor brush and then back to a basic round brush, the transparent, wet edge effect of the watercolor brush carries back over to the round brush even at 100% opacity. I can't for the life of me figure out a way to get it to behave normally again.

I don't know if I should make a new post for this, but I'll include it here because it falls under this topic and also because I'm not certain whether or not it's a bug or user error on my part.

I'm finding that if I switch to a DAUB watercolor brush and then back to a basic round brush, the transparent, wet edge effect of the watercolor brush carries back over to the round brush even at 100% opacity. I can't for the life of me figure out a way to get it to behave normally again.

Figured it out. I was going into the "more"options and selecting "Set Off" under "Wet Edges" (which seemingly does nothing?). Didn't notice the little toggle button to the right of the color selector. Still, it's kind of weird that switching to one brush changes a setting that stays changed when you switch back off of it.

Still, it's kind of weird that switching to one brush changes a setting that stays changed when you switch back off of it.

Hi Alex, 

Welcome to the forum! Custom made brushes can have one of three options (as I'm sure you've seen): 

Don't Set - will keep whatever option was set prior to selecting the brush

Set On - selecting the brush will force the Wet Edges on. Usually used so the brush designer can force the brush to look a specific way.

Set Off - selecting the brush will force the Wet Edges off.

It sounds as though the DAUB brush you had enabled had the option to 'Set On', and the Basic Round Brush has 'Don't Set' enabled. So when you select DAUB it will turn Wet Edges on and then selecting the basic will keep Wet Edges on as the brush is specifically told not to change this option. The icon of a paintbrush with a water drop coming off it on the context toolbar will allow you to turn this option On/Off. With it on you should see a light grey circle around it, when it is off, the circle will not be present.

Hopefully that sheds a little light onto the behaviour you've encountered.

Firstly, Thank you for getting Photo on the iPad! I've been excited for it ever since it was first announced and I cannot wait until some initial bugs are fixed to make it my main software :)

Now that's out the way, here is my feedback. For some context, I am an illustrator, so I will mainly use Photo for drawing, though I employ a lot of retouching techniques throughout the process and for print prep. I work on a 12.9 iPad Pro, 256GB, an year old. I drew on a standard A4 and a 14000x9000 pixel Adobe RGB (1998) documents, used a basic round brush and DAUB ink and marker brush so far. The bugs I encountered seemed consistent across the board. Here they are in order of personal importance ^.^:

1) Palm Rejection: dysfunctional. Almost every time my hand touches the screen, Photo would register a mark, taking a lot of time to undo/erase unwanted strokes. I'm luck in that when not tired, I can hold the pen high without touching the working surface but few people work that way and I cannot maintain it when tired. Unfortunately, the frequency of occurrence could render Photo unreliable/unusable for professional painting jobs on a tight deadline.

2) "Merged Layer" Brush Lag: Whenever I merge layers and would proceed to work on the newly merged one, brush strokes would lag to the point where I need to start a new layer on top. It also happens if I duplicate a merged layer and work on the copy. 

3) "Zoom/Preview" Stroke Noise: On a number of occasions, the strokes would appear jagged (as in sharply cut at places, not from unstable pressure) when I work zoomed out and only appear smooth once I zoom in 100%. This is also severely disruptive as it means I need to double check every stroke when it happens. Similarly, sometimes, while I draw a stroke it would  have a brief pixelated (preview, i guess?) appearance which would return to normal once the stroke is done. Workflow-wise, it has the same effect as a lag.

4) "Permanent" Brush Edits:  While the Manual says brushes can be permanently edited and saved for use across documents, I found this not to be the case. I can create a new brush category and have a brush saved there, but so far, even though I have switched on 'Synchronise tools', every time I open a new document or reopen an existing one, the brushes for both Paint and Erase brush would be a default soft round brush and I would have to manually reselect the once that l last used and assigned for Paint and Erase, respectively. Also, I seem unable to save a brush I have modified while using unless I go through the New Category which takes me to a default basic brush to modify anew in the studio.

5) Basic Brush initial Blobs: i saw this mentioned already. If i want to use a basic brush for ink/painting, no matter how much I modify the pressure curve, there is a blob at the beginning of a (mostly lighter) stroke. While the DAUB brushes are nice, there are certain things I use with modified basic brushes which I can't due to this.

6) Wishlist: an 'Undo' gesture or the ability to move only the 'Undo/redo' buttons across the workspace ^.^

Hi Pauscorpi,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

1. We've been looking into this and will get the feedback passed onto development and see if they can tweak it and make some improvements.

2. Are you able to do a screen recording demonstrating this please? This can be done using QuickTime Player if you've got a Mac. I've tried it myself and couldn't reproduce it. Does it happen on a new document with a few newly drawn layers or is it specific to a document?

3. Again are you able to show a screenshot of the issue before zooming in (just after drawing) and after zooming in please? Along with any brush settings you are using.

4. Unfortunately it is a known issue that you can modify existing brushes or save modified brushes to the categories. This is with development. With regards to the Synchronize Tools option I shall get this reported with development.

5. Again this is a known issue and with development to fix.

6. Feel free to add these to our 'iPad Feature Requests forum' here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/44-ipad-feature-requests/

Thanks again for the feedback - it is much appreciated!

Figured it out. I was going into the "more"options and selecting "Set Off" under "Wet Edges" (which seemingly does nothing?). Didn't notice the little toggle button to the right of the color selector. Still, it's kind of weird that switching to one brush changes a setting that stays changed when you switch back off of it.

Yes right.

I think that this implementation has a little flaw.

So far if you want to use wet edges and keep it "embedded" in your brush preset this is the proper way.

But it forces you to craft any other brush with Set Wet Edges Off, and it is not vey intuitive.

Anyway I'm sure that some cat will improve this  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers