You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP iPad - persistent cursor display

Yeah, the hover detection for the cursor is not really something that Serif can fix I am afraid, I think that is all on Apple. If you ever use something like Astro Pad this has been one of the things that always comes up.

For me I don't know if it is a deal breaker. When I used Wacom tablets over the years and had that disconnect of looking at the screen instead of your hand, yes, you needed that cursor visible to see where you were. But when I am on the iPad, the Apple Pencil tip is thin enough, not being like a fat rubber nib, to where it is not blocking my view. I am looking at the iPad screen and my hand holding the pen and there is no disconnect. And there is really not a lot of thickness, or parallax between where I place the pencil and where it makes the mark. With my previous experience with older Cintiqs and cheaper offerings, the distance between where the pen was and where the brush made the mark was very bad, hence you needed the cursor to be visible.

I guess what I am asking, is the cursor really necessary or something that we have to unlearn? It seemed like it was necessary because of the hardware at the time, or the workflow or disconnect of using a tablet with a separate display, but do we need it with the iPad?