You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity iPad - How to save selection for use in another project

Sorry, again.  I'm still not able to get what I need.  Let's try this explanation.

I have an image.  The image is of a dog and a cat.  I want to clip out the cat and then save the clipped cat to my cloud drive to use when I need a clipped cat in future projects.  How do I save ONLY what I clip to it's own file?  Thanks again for your help.

Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread here, but I have a related question... is it possible to create a new image based on the size of copied piece? I have two layers I merged in one file and copied them to pasteboard. Can I create a new document with the size of the copied parts (similar to the way Photoshop or Preview does it on macOS)?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi Mr. Mike,

Here's the steps from beginning using your example:

1. with the image of the cat and dog open create your selection of the cat in the Selections Persona (NOTE: make sure the layer of the dog and cat is a Pixel layer - you can identify its type looking at the small letters above the layer's name in the Layers Studio. If instead of Pixel it says Image, go to the ellipsis menu on the top of the interface (the three dots) and select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise to convert it to a Pixel layer type first).

2. with the selection created change/switch to Photo Persona 

3. in Photo Persona go to the ellipsis menu on top (the three dots icon) and select Pasteboard ▸ Copy to copy the cat selection to the clipboard

4. click the <- icon on top to go back to Affinity Photo Welcome screen

5. create a new document clicking the Plus icon then selecting the New Document option on the next screen

6. with the new document open go to the ellipsis icon on top (the three dots icon) and select Pasteboard ▸ Paste (your cat only  - the selection you made previouly -) will be pasted on the new empty document

This new document is automatically saved to Affinity Photo Welcome Screen and it's always accessible from there but if you want to save it as an afphoto file to transfer to your Mac for example tap the document icon (on the left of the ellipsis icon) on the top of the interface and select Save A Copy, give it a name in the next screen and tap the Save button on bottom, then select the folder where you want to save it on iCloud Drive (or other cloud service/app you may have installed on you iPad) in the following screen. 

• Staff

Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread here, but I have a related question... is it possible to create a new image based on the size of copied piece? I have two layers I merged in one file and copied them to pasteboard. Can I create a new document with the size of the copied parts (similar to the way Photoshop or Preview does it on macOS)?

Thanks!

Hi jmock,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

As far as i know, no, currently this is not possible in the iPad version (only in the desktop versions).

Hi jmock,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

As far as i know, no, currently this is not possible in the iPad version (only in the desktop versions).

Thanks for the info. Any plans on adding this? It's the last thing I need to be able to use iOS for everything :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble exporting my .afphoto file from my iPad Pro Affinity Photo to my Mac version of Affinity Photo. 

I tap on Save a Copy on the iPad version and it exports to iCloud perfectly. But when I try to open it on my Mac I get this:

"Failed to open document

The file includes features from a later version of Affinity."

iPad is running version 1.6.3.43

Mac is running version 1.5.2

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks