You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity iPad - How to save selection for use in another project

• Staff

Hi Mr. Mike,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Create you selection as usual in the Selections Persona, then change to Photo Persona (on top), click the ellipsis icon (the three dots on top) then select Pasteboard ▸ Copy. Go back to AffinityPhoto home screen, open the document where you want to paste it, then go to the ellipsis icon in Photo Persona again, Pasteboard ▸ Paste. It should paste your selection in the new document.

I'm using the new Affinity Photo for iPad.  Very cool!  

How do I save a selection I've made for use in another project?

This leads me to other questions. Where does photos save its files by default? Can I select a place in the cloud to be access by another program or in Photos on my pc?

• Staff

Hi befehr,

By default files (both afphoto and generic/exported formats) are saved/exported to your iCloud Drive (you can select to which folder or place them inside an app folder there) or other cloud service you may have installed on your iPad (Dropbox etc), so you can access them from the iCloud Drive folder (or other cloud service folder) on your Mac/PC.

Miguel,

How does it save the files (.afphoto)? There is only a save as option. If it's by default how do you access them on Mac, I can't see the files I've created in Photo for iPad in iCloud anywhere?

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• Staff

Hi mystrawberrymonkey, Mr. Mike,

To save the file as an afphoto file, go to the document icon in Photo or Selections Personas (on top of the interface) and select Save A Copy. Then name the file and tap Save on the bottom, you will then be taken to the iCloud Drive screen to choose the folder where to save the file. You can also choose another cloud service tapping the Locations button on the top left of that screen (note that the Locations button only appears if you have other cloud services/apps installed on your iPad - like Dropbox and similar).

Hi befehr,

By default files (both afphoto and generic/exported formats) are saved/exported to your iCloud Drive (you can select to which folder or place them inside an app folder there) or other cloud service you may have installed on your iPad (Dropbox etc), so you can access them from the iCloud Drive folder (or other cloud service folder) on your Mac/PC.

For clarity, MEB, I create a new document by selecting  "+" icon > new > OK. I then immediately select the Home icon (<-) in the upper left corner. The file is now shown on the Home page as Untitled. Where is this file saved? I don't see it in my cloud drive.

Hi mystrawberrymonkey, Mr. Mike,

To save the file as an afphoto file, go to the document icon in Photo or Selections Personas (on top of the interface) and select Save A Copy. Then name the file and tap Save on the bottom, you will then be taken to the iCloud Drive screen to choose the folder where to save the file. You can also choose another cloud service tapping the Locations button on the top left of that screen (note that the Locations button only appears if you have other cloud services/apps installed on your iPad - like Dropbox and similar).

Does it not save automatically? Plus there is no Affinity Photo folder on the iPad side of things in iCloud only on Mac. Also, the Affinity Designer folder has the Photo icon instead!!!

And yes the option is on in Cloud Drive, interestingly the Affinity Photo Folder appears on Mac, well the beta folder did until I deleted the Beta version of Affinity photo.

Edited by mystrawberrymonkey

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

• Staff

For clarity, MEB, I create a new document by selecting  "+" icon > new > OK. I then immediately select the Home icon (<-) in the upper left corner. The file is now shown on the Home page as Untitled. Where is this file saved? I don't see it in my cloud drive.

Sorry i should have been more clear.  If you go back to the Home screen without doing anything else the file is automatically saved there. To delete or rename it, click the menu button on the bottom right of the thumbnail. Files "saved" here are not accessible from outside the app. The Save As Copy and Export options i was referring to are located in the document icon - the one on the right of the (<- ) when you have a document open -, see screenshot below.

post-59-0-31390900-1496854992_thumb.jpg

Currently there's no way to open a file from iCloud Drive (or other cloud service), edit it and save directly over it. We are aware of those workflow issues and will do our best to improve/solve them in the future.

Sorry i should have been more clear.  If you go back to the Home screen without doing anything else the file is automatically saved there. To delete or rename it, click the menu button on the bottom right of the thumbnail. Files "saved" here are not accessible from outside the app. The Save As Copy and Export options i was referring to are located in the document icon - the one on the right of the (<- ) when you have a document open -.

So, any files created in Affinity Photo on iPad can't be accessed by photo on Mac unless I choose 'save as'? Surely it should auto save to Affinity Photo folder and then accessed on Mac, otherwise we're saving two copies right? Do we then have to go and delete one copy and open up the 'save as'version? Even then there is no way to save to the Affinity Photo folder as it does not exist and the Designer folder is grayed out...

• Staff

Hi mystrawberrymonkey,

Yes, you have to save a copy to a generic folder in iCloud Drive or other cloud service (thus duplicating the file) to access it from your Mac, unless i'm missing something. As i said we are aware of these issues. iOS 11 may also change a few things here so please bear with us while we work on this. This is the first iPad release, things should only get better from now on (hopefully).

If you are not seeing the Affinity Photo folder in iCloud try the following:

- create a new document on your Mac, then go to File ▸ Save As... and select Affinity Photo - iCloud from the Where dropdown (with the save dialog collapsed). This will force the creation of the Affinity Photo folder on iCloud. You should then be able to use the Affinity Photo iCloud folder when saving a copy or exporting from the iOS version. Let me know if it worked for you.

Sorry i should have been more clear.  If you go back to the Home screen without doing anything else the file is automatically saved there. To delete or rename it, click the menu button on the bottom right of the thumbnail. Files "saved" here are not accessible from outside the app. The Save As Copy and Export options i was referring to are located in the document icon - the one on the right of the (<- ) when you have a document open -, see screenshot below.

attachicon.gifdocument_icon_menu.jpg

Currently there's no way to open a file from iCloud Drive (or other cloud service), edit it and save directly over it. We are aware of those workflow issues and will do our best to improve/solve them in the future.

Thank you MEB. Perfectly clear now. :-)

Thanks Miguel,

The iCloud issue has been a little pain for me for a while now and yes Files in iOS 11 will change things a bit, actually looking forward to it. There are always solutions although not always ideal. For a V.1 it is an amazing app and I'm fully confident it will get better, as for me 'bearing' with you, well I've been an avid supporter since birth so I'll hang around a bit longer ; )

Thanks for the clarity! 

Allan

Thanks Miguel,

The folder is on the Mac in iCloud Drive, I just can't see it on the iPad,iPhone or Web. Any new folder I create does appear.

I've followed your steps and this what I see...

Here is my Mac and Finder:

post-9020-0-92827200-1496858384_thumb.png

And my iPad:

post-9020-0-63421500-1496858412_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned the icon isn't correct on iPad...

Ok,

hope this helps.

In my iCloud options if I check/uncheck the Affinity Photo folder it controls both Affinity Photo and Designer folders.

post-9020-0-49155500-1496860342_thumb.png

If I uncheck Affinity Photo the check box for Affinity Designer works as it should.

post-9020-0-28950100-1496860357_thumb.png

????

Hi Allan,

Yes, the wrong icon issue also happens here. Regarding the folder not appearing on your idevices have you saved at least one file to the Affinity Photo iCloud folder on your Mac? You have to save at least once there for the folder to appear on iOS.

There are 3 files there so far...

*Edit

interestingly the icon is correct on iPhone and the web just not the iPad.

Thanks Miguel!