Sign in to follow this  
Vaughan Williams

RAW support issues

The following simple issues currently make this app virtually unusable for RAW users:-

1 Raw files imported into Photos via the camera connection kit cannot be processed by Affinity Photo - only the embedded jpg file gets imported into Affinity Photo. This issue alone makes Affinity Photo useless for MOBILE raw processing.

2 When importing a raw file from a Onedrive folder no preview images are shown, only file names. It is extremely difficult to select which image to be processed without preview images.

3 The Raw Develop Persona shadow slider only has a very minimal effect. The highlight slider works as well as that in Lightroom but the shadows slider is useless.

I am using iPad Pro 12.9 with Panasonic and Olympus raw files.

Hi Vaughan Williams

Welcome to the forums

Just to quickly answer your questions

1. This is a known issue and has been reported to the developers a number of times so hopefully we will get this ironed out soon

2. We do not generate any previews for images this is done by the app for the cloud service, so in this case it relies on OneDrive's capabilities at producing RAW previews 

3. Thank you for letting us know about this I shall take a look into it and pass it on to the development team

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Yeah, I came here to ask about this. I wanted to use this when traveling. I'm on Bali right now and the connection is very limited, I wanted to make an hdr out of a few shots I took today. Imported them to the iPad like I usually do with Lightroom mobile and then when I imported them to photo I realized that 1. I can only import one picture at the time, ('what the hell??) 2. It's a 1920x1200 jpeg that gets imported. So if I want raw files I have to upload them to iCloud and then go into affinity? Good luck doing that with 0.05mbits upload speed.. this is meant to be for on the go use, right? What were they thinking? This makes it completely unusable, literally, I can't use it. Am I supposed to have to wait until I get home to edit? Then why even have it on the iPad at all? Then I might as well just use the computer.. Jesus Christ I'm so upset. This is such basic functionality that it should be the first thing they made.. this basically means no raw support at all.

I mean, even if it was working with imports from photos, having to import one picture at the time for hdrmwould be QUITE tedious, I was shooting 9 brackets tonight on my x-t2.

This probably won't get fixed until my vacation is over.. :(

Hi Vaughan Williams

Welcome to the forums

Just to quickly answer your questions

1. This is a known issue and has been reported to the developers a number of times so hopefully we will get this ironed out soon

2. We do not generate any previews for images this is done by the app for the cloud service, so in this case it relies on OneDrive's capabilities at producing RAW previews 

3. Thank you for letting us know about this I shall take a look into it and pass it on to the development team

Cheers

Thank you for the quick response - hopefully points 1 and 3 will be rectified soon and that will make the app useful for mobile use, which is what most people want it for at present. On point 2, I can now see that the dialog box you get when importing from OneDrive is identical to that produced by the OneDrive app itself and that that is without previews as well. Just so that anyone following this topic will know I have also tested out Dropbox and iCloud Drive. Dropbox seems to give a very small preview once you select a file whereas iCloud can be set up to give useful thumbnail previews.

Apart from mobile use many of us would like to be able to run an iPad PRO only workflow and your app is a good step towards this but it looks like improvements are needed not only in the app but IOS and the various cloud facilities as well. Hopefully the new file system in IOS 11 will push things forward in this respect.