You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad app as extension for Apple's Photos app?

I'm interested in purchasing Affinity for iPad, but I'm looking for a Photo editor that is fully integrated with Apple Photos on iCloud. My entire photo library is in iCloud, accessed by Apple Photos. I know that Affinity can import from and export to Apple Photos, but does it do non-destructive editing on the files that are in the iCloud photo library itself? In other words, I don't want my photo editor to create duplicates of every photo I edit. Instead, I want nondestructive editing of the originals that are in iCloud (e.g., as an extension to Apple's Photos app). Can Affinity for iPad do this?

• Staff

Hi briang.uu,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, currently Affinity Photo for iPad isn't able to access RAW files stored in Photos library. You can only access/edit RAW files stored in iCloud Drive or other cloud services/apps you may have installed on your iPad.

We are looking into ways to improve Affinity Photo for iPad and Apple Photos integration/workflow.

• Staff

Yes, it opens the document in Affinity Photo which saves a copy to its Welcome Screen. It doesn't work directly with the files stored in the Photos library nor saves back to Photo's library unless you use the Share option when exporting a file to send it to iCloud Photo Sharing (the button is located on the bottom left of the Export screen) but i don't consider that a regular way to save a file to Photos.

I really love the new app but I find it very sad that it's not possible to open a raw file directly from the photos app. The main reason I bought the affinity photo app was so I could import and edit my pictures on the iPad when I don't have the ability to upload them into any cloud. At least the only way I could figure out to get the raw files to open in affinity photo is through a cloud. Is there any way to get the raw images from my camera into affinity photo for iPad without the cloud? without that being possible the app is almost useless to me because when I'm at home I can easily use my desktop version of affinity photo.

My question is are you working on making it possible to import raw files from the photos app?

New user. Extremely excited to have found this software. Instantly bought both the desktop and iPad versions, and I'm looking forward to learning and processing my photos this way.

Follow on question: the WWDC keynote showed that the upcoming Photos app will have "Edit In..." functionality. When that becomes available in the fall, will we then be able to do what Newbie has described? If so, that'd be awesome. I'm still not sure about my workflow until that is the case. I do not store all my photos in the iCloud photos...

Follow on question: the WWDC keynote showed that the upcoming Photos app will have "Edit In..." functionality. When that becomes available in the fall, will we then be able to do what Newbie has described? If so, that'd be awesome. I'm still not sure about my workflow until that is the case. I do not store all my photos in the iCloud photos...

I hope we don't have to wait for fall to be honest... It is already possible to open raw photos from the Photos app in snapseed and Lightroom. I hope it gets high priority, because that means I can leave the Adobe prison and not replace my old laptop. I could use my iPad Pro for photo editing alone because of this great app!

I hope we don't have to wait for fall to be honest... It is already possible to open raw photos from the Photos app in snapseed and Lightroom. I hope it gets high priority, because that means I can leave the Adobe prison and not replace my old laptop. I could use my iPad Pro for photo editing alone because of this great app!

I know, eh? I have been using photoshop since ver 5, and it's become this toxic love/hate relationship where I'd sorely love to go elsewhere, but haven't ever found anything that works with how I work. AP seems to finally give me a way out, which is very exciting. But more exciting still is the prospect that I may be able to process my images on a tablet. That would be just amazing. I have the new iPad on order, so next week I hope to find out just what's doable.

but even if the whole iPad workflow doesn't pan out for me, I would still be set free if I could use the Edit In... functionality come the fall.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/4/2017 at 2:44 AM, briang.uu said:

Any news on whether (or when) Affinity will be an "edit in" (extension) option from iOS Photos?

You can set up an 'Open in' option using a shortcut app and adding to share sheet. Is that what you mean by an edit in AP extension.

FCFB43C7-9436-4F34-A61D-311032156327.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/