FlashDeviant

Designer: Imported images appear washed out/brightened

Hi, I seem to have been having this issue ever since I bought Affinity Designer.

Whenever I try to import an image into the program to do work with, the imported image looks very different colour-wise compared to how it should appear. The colours of the image appear more washed out or at least brightened compared to the original file. I have tried both dragging the image in and using the photo tool to draw it in that way and both have the same issue. Here is a picture of the google logo file imported into designer alongside the same file being shown in the Win 10 Photo Viewer.

H9ip2H4.png

Hopefully you can see what I mean, I have tried this with both JPG and PNG files and both yield the same effect, but I believe vector formats are not effected. Any ideas would be appreciated, I think it must be more specific to me as I would have thought this bug would be a big deal if it was widespread xD

Thanks a lot! 

Hi FlashDeviant

What particular colour profile is the image using? is it sRGB or another one? Can you also check in the colour preferences in Affinity to see what the default colour profile is set to there?  Windows picture viewer doesn't really take any colour profiles into account so this could cause the shift in colours. Alternatively are you able to provide the image for us to investigate?

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure of the profile that the image is using or how to check, but I would assume it would be a standard one as it effects images that I exported from Inkscape and various images I have retrieved from the internet. The program is using these colour profiles here:
BUy4xUg.png

I will attach the picture I have used so you can take a look

Thanks a lot!

post-61136-0-00362100-1496848837_thumb.png

I have this exact same problem in the trial version of Affinity Photo.

I opened FlashDeviant's attachment of the google logo in Affinity Photo for windows and have the same washed-out effect. If i open the image in windows picture viewer and Gimp, the image looks correct.

My settings are the same as above.

It happens on all jpg images whether they have the icc profile embedded or not.

I have attached an example showing the differences between programs.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem as I am evaluating whether to purchase Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.

post-61984-0-92356200-1497359600_thumb.png

I have the same issue. It's been there all along and I equally have no idea how to change the defaults to avoid this. As Flashdeviant says if I paste any image from any source, but say from the internet, into Affinity Designer it seems to lose around 10% of it's saturation levels compared to the original. I presume this must be a default preference setting somewhere but I can't find it. The default colour options don't seem to be covered at all any tutorial/video either - not to address the issue at least.

IE Colours in any app, webbrowser and any other Windows or Adobe application location seem bright and 'normal' then..

Steps to test this seem simple:

1. Search for and copy any brightly coloured image

2. Paste into a new (Control+N) document set to 'Web' type and behold.

3. Colours will appear washed out/desaturated (by around 10% or so) in Affinity Designer workspace.

4. Re-export the image and view in any other app/browser and the colour is 'restored'

So how do we avoid this automatic filtering from being applied? It's very disconcerting, to say the least and makes it impossible to draw/colours naturally as most designers would need it (I imagine) - as you want to be able to see web/digital colours in the workspace that will match the exported/real-world colours outside it.

Please help/put me out of my misery!

Q

Guys/team Affinity. With a little testing I've just realised that, in my case, I need to use a different Colour Profile to the recommended/default sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for web/digital work. IE using sRGB IEC61966-2.1 seems to desaturate the colours (all colours) of every image I bring into Affinity Designer's workspace. If I switch to Adobe RGB (1998) the colour match (from any other app/browser to Affinity) is much better whereas it's only if I switch to use the colour profile of my DELL U27313H monitor that the colours match perfectly (as far as I can tell). I'm on a Windows 10/64bit workstation here.

Request: Can this 'feature' or a good explanation of what's going on here be added to your Help section, tutorials and anywhere you can mention it. I don't have this issue with any other professional design/art programme I use and whereas I'm sure the option must be there some very good reasons that perhaps don't apply to anyone, like me, that only work in the web/digital sphere - unless I've missed a very important tutorial somewhere in my 20+ years working as a digital designer.

PS Your otherwise excellent Affinity Designer WorkBook (book) doesn't mention any of this either. IE there's nothing in it at all about colour calibration and the tools/presets that might be needed to work with colour in AD (or AP).

Has there been any progress on this? 

I have found that after changing the color profile in windows to sRGB i don't have the discrepancy anymore but i am running a Dell U2711 and don't wish to run the sRGB profile on my wide gamut monitor.

As far as i can tell there seems to be some strange thing happening between the AP / AD's internal profile and the windows / monitor profile?

Would i be correct in thinking this?

As far as i can tell there seems to be some strange thing happening between the AP / AD's internal profile and the windows / monitor profile?

Would i be correct in thinking this?

This is most likely what is being seen here. We do have a slight issue with monitor profiles that go beyond the RGB 8bit 255 gamutand converting from out internal profile. Where as other apps straight clip the profile at values above 255, we currently try to squeeze the full monitor profile gamut down into 255. We are aware of this and are looking at possibly changing this so hopefully when we do a lot of these issues get resolved

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I have attempted to use my monitor's colour profile after a little research on how to do it, unfortunately this has made no change to the issue, not even a slight one.

I may have to look forward to the next update before I can make full use of the product sadly :/
But its good to know that its being looked into

Thanks Chris ^^

Thanks for the info Chris. Its unfortunate that i won't be able to purchase now due to this problem.

FlashDeviant, have you tried changing the colour profile in windows 10 itself rather than just on the monitor?

I found that changing the profile on my monitor did not work either. I changed the windows colour profile in 'Colour Management', located in the display settings, from my dell U2711 profile to the standard sRGB profile. This made all the difference. All images then looked the same throughout all programs (win photo viewer, gimp, AP).

Ill try to give it a try TeamPiz

I have been changing the colour profiles on Windows 10 but it didn't feel like the changes were applying despite the settings remaining selected. I'll look up some guides on how to do it properly and get back to you

Hi I'm a newbie. My problem isn't quite the same my illustration was done in Affinity Designer, I'd copied and paste the same artwork on the same board. But one is more washed out than the other. I checked the color to make sure they were the same,they were. All the color schemes are the same and yet it is still washed out. Is a pain all I want is the same artwork, but a slight difference in each, and one is lighter than the other. Please help

This isn't on opacity issue. It's all to do with ICC color profiling. Something I didn't understand at all when I first replied here. I haven't checked recently but you excellent guys at Affinity do still need to explain this better and I were you I would do it as part on the initial set-up steps.

Basically if you're using a modern HDR-style (10bit colour) or any professional-grade colour monitor (above 8bit colour) you need to make sure, on Windows at least, that your Windows colour space matches you colour space inside Affinity - otherwise colours appear washed-out/desaturated, etc. There's a lot more to it than that and all it's to do with ICC. Google it. But as of 2017-18 the best (most flexible) approach is to use a good 8bit colour profile such as sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and have Affinity automatically convert imported images to that colour spec. 8bit colour is 16.7million colours so it's still very, very good for most graphics and certainly most web/tablet graphics work and then save/export your graphics with the 'include ICC profile' included - which tells any wider-gamut (HRD/10bit colour devices) how to display the colours properly. Devices that don't understander ICC profiling then ignore the ICC profile data anyway and you're good to go.

That's an incredibly simplified explanation probably only useful to 10bit/HDR Windows users and who, like me, are predominently most concerned with correct colour matching on a wide range of digital devices that may or may not support ICC.

If you Google it you'll find a lot more on this. Affinity: Great product guys. I'm a huge fan so keep up the great work - but do get on top of the explanations for this when onboarding new users.