You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo IPad Pen Tool Stroke taper bug

Hi there.

I have been using the pen tool on Affinity Photo for Mac for a long time and often use the ability to create tapered lines using the pen tool.

I cannot see anywhere on the ipad version where I can change the line thicknesses over distance. Am I missing something?

Also when I import a file that does have varying vector stroke thicknesses, every shape and line I create in the ipad app afterwards has the exact same line profile which I am powerless to change. Is this a glitch? Or is there a section were I can change this in app?

Please help!

• Staff

Hi Oddilium,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no way to change or create pressure profiles for vector objects in Affinity Photo for iPad in this first release.

It may be implemented later (with the introduction of Designer for iPad eventually) but i don't have yet enough info to ensure if or when this will be implemented at this point.

Hi again. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Shame about that since pretty much EVERYTHING else is in the app, impressively!

Oh well.

Is saving an Affinity file back to the iCloud Affinity folder going to be made easier soon too?

I thought that may be the case- particularly with iOS's new files system round the corner.

I have to say full marks for the app, generally though. Must have been a lot of work involved- it's clearly epic sized and will be extremely useful.

• 6 years later...
10 hours ago, JodyC said:

Where are the pressure profiles for Affinity Photo for the iPad?

For Photo 2, with a line selected and the Pen Tool active, tap the stroke width control in the top bar. Then set the General pulldown to Pressure.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, I know that. But on AP for desktop, in the stroke settings for the pen tool, there is a pressure profile that allows you to adjust the shape of your stroke--for example, small at the beginning and end and larger in the middle. Does AP for iPad have that?

17 minutes ago, JodyC said:

Yes, I know that. But on AP for desktop, in the stroke settings for the pen tool, there is a pressure profile that allows you to adjust the shape of your stroke--for example, small at the beginning and end and larger in the middle. Does AP for iPad have that?

Yes, where I said it is. (For Photo 2, at least. I have not checked Photo V1, if that's what you're using.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

As I said, change the General pulldown to Pressure. Tap it and choose, or scroll it right/left.

-- Walt
PC: