Frankentoon

Apple Pencil not working properly

Hello there!

First things first. Congrats on the Photo for iPad launching Serif guys! What a terrific job you've made here. I can't tell how excited I am about it.

Although, after trying out the app for a couple of hours yesterday, I found that Photo recognizes my palm as an input when using the Apple Pencil and makes the canvas do some weird jittering before recognizing the pencil input. Sometimes zooms the canvas out, sometimes draws accidental spots all over the canvas (not very often)... 

Hope this issue can be addressed in future updates, because it makes the app very uncomfortable for illustration work. I own a 12.9 inch 2015 iPad Pro.

Cheers,

Enrique

• Frankentoon - Tutorials and Resources for Affinity Designer

• Get a Free eBook for Affinity Designer - Subscribe HERE

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

Hey Enrique,

I've ran into this a few times but I find my knuckle causes more issues than the palm. I'll have a chat with the guys and see if there are any plans to improve this over time.

Oh and thanks for the feedback!  :D We're excited too! 

Today bought the app and yes, the Apple Pen is not working! Hope this will be fixed soon!

Also I have to set the iPad language to English (VK) but that's another topic..... :/

iMac 27", iPad Pro 12,9", Apple Pencil.

Thanks for the welcome! I saw the update for the language and this is working fine now! Also thank you for the quick update but what about the Apple pen? When will the pen work or is there something I have to install?

For I'm totally new to Affinity I had to figure out a lot, looked at the tutorial and that's how I knee the pen should work.

As by Enrique the pen didn't draw at all but after tapping at the screen (iPad Pro 12,9") the program reconized the pen. YESSS!

For me there is no issue of the palm yet but I have to be careful because of the suddenly zooming.

So now I can start learning and learning, over and over again! I used to work in Photoshop CS6 at the iMac but I cann't carry that one with me and the Photoshop app is to slight. For drawing I use Pixelmator at the iPad untill now because Affinity was recommended by iCulture as "the app to have" for editing photo's AND drawings. So two programs in one!

If there is a possibility to use the iPad connected to the iMac, like a Wacom tablet, I'll buy the iMac version too and my love for your app will never die...... :)

Love from The Netherlands,

Ashcat

Thanks for the welcome! I saw the update for the language and this is working fine now! Also thank you for the quick update but what about the Apple pen? When will the pen work or is there something I have to install?

Just thought I would give some feedback that the Pencil seems to be working fine for me.

It's only partially working for me. Tilt seems not to work. I'm going through the intro and the demonstration shows tilt adjusts the light from the top middle adjustment point, via Pencil tilt. This does nothing for me. The Pencil works otherwise as expected.

Is there no audio on these videos?

iPad Pro 12.9" (first gen), iOS 10.3.1.

Hi dysamoria,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The tilt works for me from everywhere except when over the the middle adjustment point. In this case the Pencil controls the middle handle adjustment position. I'm not sure the tilt should work in this situation. I will ask the dev team.

Hi dysamoria,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The tilt works for me from everywhere except when over the the middle adjustment point. In this case the Pencil controls the middle handle adjustment position. I'm not sure the tilt should work in this situation. I will ask the dev team.

AH HAH! Thank you for informing me of that subtle aspect. I've just tested the tilt away from the control point and it works just fine. The instructional video should be changed, IMO, because it might be misleading others who haven't bothered to come here and ask for help.