You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Questions & Feedback about IPad should be in a sub-forum

The forum "Questions & Feedback" has become very confusing. It would be better to create sub-forums for Mac, Windows and IPad (just like in the Bugs forum). In any case, the questions about IPad should be in a sub-forum.

I've never found Mac and Windows being together a problem (outside of bug reporting, which is already split) as the programs themselves are more or less the same, however I think iPad could do with it's own sub-forum.  It's pretty nuts in here today.   :)

I suspect this will sort itself out just like it did (for the most part) when the Windows apps were first released. Shortly after the release date, the Questions & Feedback forum was flooded with topics specific to the brand new Windows versions, but that died down within a week or so.

Besides, a great many topics are not limited to any one app or platform. Most of the tools work about the same on all of them & the various techniques users write about are generally applicable regardless of the device used.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

It's gonna be busy till we have some suitable pinned FAQs, but I would like things to settle before deciding on the contents. Sorry about the initial rush, but this is our main support mechanism, for all users. Having sub forums would be OK but most posts would have to be moved, as sub forums are often overlooked.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I suspect this will sort itself out just like it did (for the most part) when the Windows apps were first released. Shortly after the release date, the Questions & Feedback forum was flooded with topics specific to the brand new Windows versions, but that died down within a week or so.

Besides, a great many topics are not limited to any one app or platform. Most of the tools work about the same on all of them & the various techniques users write about are generally applicable regardless of the device used.

The difference with that scenario is that the Mac and Windows versions are pretty much the same, which means the vast majority of the questions can be answered regardless of the OS.  What OS people are running is rather moot and unless it's a question specific to something like the RAW engine used, or file system, no-one really cares about the OS as it's largely irrelevant.  Therefore, people running Windows are able to answer questions from people with Macs and people with Macs are able to answer questions from people running Windows.  Everyone's happy.

With iPad, the menu's, etc. are different, which means unlike Mac/Windows questions, iPad questions really need to be answered by iPad users.  I have no way of knowing whether my answer is applicable to the iPad version and am likely to find that after spending time typing a response to a question, that I'm going to be met with a "I can't find the XYZ menu item you mentioned" because I had no idea they were using an iPad.

This is why even though I am happy with (and prefer) Windows and Mac being together, I didn't think the iPad versions should just be jumbled in with Mac and Windows versions and could do with it's own forum section. 

That said, one of the suggestions listed in your other post sounds reasonable.  When posting a new topic the poster needs to select a product from a drop-down, which is then displayed under the subject title.  That way it's possible to know straight away what the post is referring to when looking through the posts and it will also allow filtering.  Something along these lines where it's possible to identify iPad posts would be OK for me personally:

post-29590-0-09256300-1496804018.png

post-29590-0-09256300-1496804018_thumb.png

One of the problems with this idea is people asking pre-purchase questions, like about which app to buy or the ever popular ones about if buying for one platform entitles them to use it on the other(s), would be forced to arbitrarily choose one of the products.

Another potential one is (if I remember correctly) the staff have said the current forum hosting software does not provide any method for adding this.

But judging from my experiences on other support forums, the big problem is a lot of people will just pick one of the choices randomly, usually because they are uncertain about which one is most appropriate (like if they are asking general questions about color management or what makes a vector different from a raster image or text).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

One of the problems ...

Another potential one is (if I remember correctly) the staff have said the current forum hosting software does not provide any method for adding this.

Staff have also said that this is the main support mechanism.  It's way too early to be considering wholesale changes, but the time may come when they have to be made - if individuals' questions and those questions they're able to answer aren't reasonably apparent people will stop using the forum.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

In the process of moving posts now

Yikes! Every moved topic I have already read now shows up in the new iPad sub-forum as new or updated -- even ones where I made the last post. I guess that can't be helped?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how well it works for new topics going forward.

Affinity Photo