Sign in to follow this  
conrad2k

Observations using Nikon and Fuji RAW files

Update:  Using the new Affinity Photo App for the iPad (APi) on both an iPad Air 2 and a 10.5" iPad Pro, I have been able to open the RAW files from both an Nikon d610 and a Fujifilm X-T2.  I am able to edit and develop each file.  I have not done a feature by feature comparison of the iOS app with the MacOS app, I am amazed to see so much of the desktop app represented on the iPad!

A couple of observations:

1.  When processing a RAW file, the "develop dialog box" that allows you to click the check box to finish developing will disappear if you use tools from the left hand toolbar.  To get it back, you need to click on the "View Tool" (the hand) or sometimes the develop persona button on the top tool bar to get the dialog back for accepting the develop persona changes.  The Develop Persona dialog Accept/Cancel box should be persistent.

2. After developing an image, trying to export a "PNG" works, but neither my the Air 2 nor the Pro 10.5 will process a JPG.  At the  bottom of the screen APi constantly says, "Generating export..."  This seems to be true for both the Nikon and Fuji RAW files.

3. Once a PNG has been generated, the "Okay" button doesn't offer to let you save the image to iPhoto, but rather to locations, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.  I can't find a way to make it save to the Western Digital "My Cloud" external drive.  Saving to iPhoto requires clicking on the "share" button, which works but is counter intuitive (perhaps this an iOS quirk?).

4. If an image is open and being processed in APi, and I try to open another one using the "Open in.." command from the Western Digital "My Cloud" app, APi simply won't open the new image.  You have to close the old image first and return to the "Home" Screen before opening a new image.  It should be able to offer to close the old image and allow opening of the new image. 

5.  On several occasions the app has suddenly quit, but I need to be more careful about documenting what exactly was happening at the precise moment it quit and to reliably reproduce the error.

Hi conrad2K

The iPad app is not an exact 1:! of the desktop purposefully so there will be some intended differences or features missing.

1. This was a change made to prevent confusion with apply and cancel being for the persona and not for individual tools such as crop. You are also able to select another persona such as the photo one and you will be asked if you want to develop the image before switching

2. this is something we have discovered and believe it may be an issue with the embed metadata option. Unticking this I believe should allow it to go through, but we currently have this logged with the developers

3. We require the APIs from the cloud based apps so we can only save to whatever cloud based apps are on your iPad (if the cloud app allows us). The use of external physical drives isn't really something iOS does natively.  As the eqivilent save as dialog is generated form the iOS rather than custom we use the apple standard which is generally the share function

4. This is more a suggestion than a bug. The app is designed more to work with single images from a cloud based storage rather than a physical one which does not usually have this command. 

5. If you are able to provide any information about any steps or procedures about any specific crashes to help us recreate them that would be fantastic. Please create a new thread for each crash rather than add into this one so it does not get lost.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Wait, so I can't even save a finished jpeg to the photo library on my iPad? Why? Don't say that apple doesn't allow it because it works fine in Lightroom mobile and always has been.

Yes, you can save a jpg to your iPad photo library. The option is under Document->Export->Share->Save Image. The only caveat is that the Embed Metadata option has to be unchecked, at least until they fix that bug.

Yes, you can save a jpg to your iPad photo library. The option is under Document->Export->Share->Save Image. The only caveat is that the Embed Metadata option has to be unchecked, at least until they fix that bug.

Thank you! That's a relief. Then it's just the importing issue left.

Thanks again.

The Assurer, 

Thanks for your response.

1.  I suggest that the developers need to explore ways to improve the UI in the Developer Persona to clear up apparent confusion on accepting the changes from each tool and then the aggregate changes in the Developer Persona.  

2. As I explore the "embed metadata" issue in the Export function further, I find that it works for PNG, GIF and HDR, though slowly for full resolution 24mp files, but seems to completely blocks exports for JPG and TIFF regardless of resolution.  I am unable to export to PSD, PDF, and HDR. 

3.  The Western Digital My Passport Pro is a good tool for photographers travelling with only an iPad, as it allows back up of SD cards and wireless access to the RAW files.  I suggest that the developers explore the api of Western Digital's My Cloud app.  The info for access to their API is here:  http://developer.mycloud.com/MCAPIindex.html

4.  Bug or suggestion, I think the success of the Affinity Photo app relies of expanding and easing access to images.  I understand that there are limits to the iOS file system, so the "Open in..." function of other apps (My Cloud, FileBrowser, etc.) is a very important means of gaining access to RAW files.  As such, it is important that the app be able to deal with one file being opened while another file is already open.  I will enter bug reports on this for FileBrowser "Open in..." as it causes Affinity Photo to crash.  Not sure which app is at fault.

3.  The Western Digital My Passport Pro is a good tool for photographers travelling with only an iPad, as it allows back up of SD cards and wireless access to the RAW files.  I suggest that the developers explore the api of Western Digital's My Cloud app.  The info for access to their API is here:  http://developer.mycloud.com/MCAPIindex.html

4.  Bug or suggestion, I think the success of the Affinity Photo app relies of expanding and easing access to images.  I understand that there are limits to the iOS file system, so the "Open in..." function of other apps (My Cloud, FileBrowser, etc.) is a very important means of gaining access to RAW files.  As such, it is important that the app be able to deal with one file being opened while another file is already open.  I will enter bug reports on this for FileBrowser "Open in..." as it causes Affinity Photo to crash.  Not sure which app is at fault.

I aggre! I'm a user of WD My passport wiffi, and I can red my XT-2 files directly with Lightroom App using "open in" option in WD's App, but unfortunately I can't from Affinity app. For me is a big bug. I hope you will resolve it quickly.

In adition, I'm user of google drive and it doesn't apear in "import from cloud" option. It's another bother.

(I'm sorry for my english. I'm not english speaker)

Best wishes

Newbie, I have found that I am able to use the "Open in..." mechanism in WD's My Cloud app to open Fuji RAFs in Affinity Photo.  I had to scroll through all the possible "Open in..." apps and APi was on the far right.  I was able to drag its icon to the left so it was easier to find the next time.  The only caution is that you must be sure to that no image is already open in APi when you open a new one with the "Open in..." mechanism in My Cloud.  

I have also found that the FileBrowser for Business app will allow you to open images directly from the WD My Passport Wireless Pro device.  The FileBrowser developers are looking at it to see if they can make it show thumbnails of the images because it currently only shows the file name/date.

I expressed wrong. I meant that I can not open raf files in affinity app. No problem with the jpeg.

My workflow is firstly open in ligthroom, save on the photo reel, and from there finally open in affinity app. It's not the best way...

Thanks

My workflow is to first open in ligthroom, save on the photo reel and from there open in affinity app

I suspect that LR is simply opening the jpg. I gave up on LR Mobile because they require a subscription to process RAW files.  Affinity as no problems with uncompressed RAFs (I haven't tried compressed RAFs).