You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo iPad: Undo/Redo gestures

• Staff

Hi HYR,

I believe you are already aware of this, but just in case you don't there's an undo/redo button on the bottom right of the interface over the Help icon. I'm also used to these gestures from Procreate and other apps. Hope the dev team consider them as well. Thanks for your feedback.

Love the new app for the ipad .I am using on an IPad Pro with Apple Pencil. The only problem I have encountered so far is opening files from my MYCLOUD just doesn't see the mycloud. I am trying to open files via file Browser.

Any help appreciated

Rabt

Yeah I saw the undo and redo buttons. I find I don't use drawing apps (on the iPad) that don't have the 2-finger undo and 3-finger redo because I get frustrated I have to look else where do those simple actions. Doing so takes my focus off of the work at hand. Those gestures feel so natural, hard to do it any other way now.

I'm hopeful you guys can add those gestures. Thanks!

Hello, Im new here...just purchased the app for the Ipad and i am amazed at how powerful it is.  Admittedly I didnt know much about it before purchasing it, but I do find that having it on a device such as the Ipad the app seems to lack gesture controls. 

I searched this forum before posting and someone had suggested radial menus which are very popular, preferably customizeable ones. However, that is a big ask im sure, in the meantime I would like to second at least the request to have the ability to use gestures for the following:

Undo

Redo

and rotate canvas without having to access a specific tool to do so. 

I have not even begun to scratch the surface of this app's potential, and Im already incredibly excited about it. thanks for your hard work and attention :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm considering to switch from Procreate to AP for my drawings because it is way more powerful BUT I have to say that I Immediately missed the 2 fingers tap for the undo e and the gesture to rotate the canvas. I know I can do both the things in AP with one or 2 touch of the pen, bur having them as gestures would be much much better.

3 hours ago, Tamauro said:

... and the gesture to rotate the canvas.

Try ‘Preferences > Tools > Allow canvas rotation in all tools’. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

I am also supporting 2 and 3 fingers for undo/redo action :)

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

• 3 months later...

Me too!! Please introduce 2/3 finger tap to undo/redo it’s one of the most vital features for drawing and painting, pretty much industry-standards now! I understand it’s not as important for photo editing, but you should be aware of growing community of people using Affinity for creating original art, as the app features some truly amazing brush engine, in fact the best I’ve tried on iOS (or even PC) so far! 

Another must-have feature is for the brushes to “remember” settings as you switch between them.  They keep resetting after you switch from one to another and back and it makes painting soooooo frustrating!

These two things would make the app PERFECT for artists!

36 minutes ago, PurpleCrayon said:

Please introduce 2/3 finger tap to undo/redo

Two-finger tap in Affinity Photo 1.6.7 displays a menu bar with an Undo option, but there’s no Redo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 5/15/2018 at 1:03 AM, Alfred said:

Two-finger tap in Affinity Photo 1.6.7 displays a menu bar with an Undo option, but there’s no Redo.

Yes, but that’s not the same thing as what I was saying. I was saying tap - undo, tap - redo, directly without menus. You see, painting involves making hundreds or even thousands of strokes per painting. This highly increases the chances of errors (or rather imperfections) in contrast with photo editing where for occasional error one can go through the menus. For this reason, undo/redo are one of the most widely used functions by artists, requiring quickest access. It would be unlikely to find digital artists who would disagree with this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that it is available in Designer for iPad I suspect we may see it added to Photo in the next release :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

15 hours ago, DM1 said:

Now that it is available in Designer for iPad I suspect we may see it added to Photo in the next release :)

I'd give this post a thousand hearts if I could.  Such a nice feature to have when sketching.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
9 hours ago, bendito33 said:

Any reason why Designer for iPad doesn’t have the actual buttons for undo/redo above the help button like Photo fo iPad has?

To encourage the use of the gestures and to keep the UI cleaner, but you can turn them on in settings. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
6 hours ago, Nick Walford-Smith said:

Yep, I’d like these gestures too, please.

@Nick Walford-Smith

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

... then you should be pleased with the next patch ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Great to know it’s coming!! I was happy to see it in the Designer! Love both apps.

Now if the brushes in Affinity Photo would save states between switches, that would make the app perfect! When you switch between brushes they reset to some default settings. So if you’re working on something tiny and want to use more than one brush you’ll always have to resize it down. Pretty inconvenient, and there’s no advantage in having it this way. I guess a complex app like this is bound to have imperfections during initial launch. But once these two things are in, the AF would be magical to use!