You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New member here but I have been using the forums for information for a while, so than you to everybody who has unknowingly helped me so far! As you might have guessed though, I haven't found the answer to my latest question, which is:

Is it possible to have Photo automatically crop remaining dead space to the original aspect ratio (or maybe a predefined one from your presets), or with a single click after using the straighten tool, or manual rotation? I usually take landscape, or architectural type shots so doing it manually occasionally is no problem, but I'm finding it can be a little tedious when doing batches of images that all need adjusting by a few degrees. If it isn't possible, is it something that could be implemented? I think it would be incredibly useful!

I apologise if this has been asked before, i just couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a lot to do why not just set your crop mode default, drag your crop box area and then rotate the image to the box by dragging outside the crop box area ?

Affinity immediately applies a much finer grid to make it easy to straighten the image verticals or horizontals, and when you hit "return" (or click apply) it does all that dead space cropping for you.

You have full control over the crop box size and position at any time and whats more, the view of the image is adjusted to your viewpoint of straight. I find that very easy and very productive. Just drag the crop box, drag the image to rotate and hit return.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the delay in replying.

AFAIK, it's not currently possible. Another user made the same request here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30860-ap-automatic-crop-for-the-straighten-tool/

Sorry, I didn't realise it had been discussed before. I didn't realise at the time of writing, but the method is already implemented for panoramas. After stitching, if you select the crop tool while still in the panorama section you can "crop to opaque" before committing to the pano and being taken into the photo persona. It would be great if that could be brought into the develop and photo personas.

If you have a lot to do why not just set your crop mode default, drag your crop box area and then rotate the image to the box by dragging outside the crop box area ?

Affinity immediately applies a much finer grid to make it easy to straighten the image verticals or horizontals, and when you hit "return" (or click apply) it does all that dead space cropping for you.

You have full control over the crop box size and position at any time and whats more, the view of the image is adjusted to your viewpoint of straight. I find that very easy and very productive. Just drag the crop box, drag the image to rotate and hit return.

Thanks for the tip toltec. While this is a good method that I will probably use on some occasions, it still leaves me having to manually crop the image to the edges once the rotation is done. It isn't a case of me choosing the crop area first but for things like levelling horizons etc but keeping the composition the same, while cropping the minimum amount possible.