You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

wwdc 2017 - HEIC .heif support in Affinity product line?

In light of Apple's announcements yesterday, I was wondering regarding the current level of support for the high efficiency image format that is/will be implemented inside affinity designer, photo and photo for iOS.

Will it be implemented? Is it already implemented? How does it handle multiple images embedded inside the container (eg.collections/bursts etc)?

For some reason I couldn't find any actual file sample on the internet to test it out myself

Thank you people! I had already been there, but couldn't find a way to download the actual .heif files so I assumed it was a mocked up comparison (chrome would allow me to save them as png instead of .heic).

I've finally managed to get the images via direct links and I can report that Affinity Photo/Designer don't support .heif files as of yet (1.6.0 beta 1)!

Would be nice to hear the thoughts of the team on .heif support!

Apple announced that in iOS 11 photos will be stored in .heif instead of .jpeg (if I got that right) and they will be adding support of it on macOS High Sierra.

I'm not sure if the .heif files in the camera roll will be converted to jpeg while being copied the to the computer though; I was just wondering what the implications are...

thank you @Mbd, I may have missed that part about compatibility; not that I was expecting a complete breach with the past (still apple does that from time to time :p)

Let's wait and see how they implement it, and what that means for the future of jpeg!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MBd, that's interesting! I must agree that probably Serif has it under control, there is time until the public release of iOS 11 and even then, it remains to be seen how this format affects our lives.

Still, it will be interesting to see how (whether) Apple manages where google failed to convince everybody move away from jpeg!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you people! I had already been there, but couldn't find a way to download the actual .heif files so I assumed it was a mocked up comparison (chrome would allow me to save them as png instead of .heic).

I've finally managed to get the images via direct links and I can report that Affinity Photo/Designer don't support .heif files as of yet (1.6.0 beta 1)!

Would be nice to hear the thoughts of the team on .heif support!

Chrome (and all browsers which are using the JS polyfills) is/are presenting the HEIF images as Canvas elements, which can only be saved as .PNG format.

And yes, 1.5MB of that HEIF polyfill is the MPEG-4 / ISO container parser. It's a super complex format. But so is HEIF. Remember that it supports multiple codecs, multiple images, video, compositing those images together in just about any way, etc.

Now consider that it's not such a large overhead for browsers which already implement MPEG-4 / ISO format support. They just need to implement the HEIF-specific bits, and HEVC if they don't already support it.

Sure, BPG is smaller and less complex, but it's probably also unlikely to be added to any of the major browsers, so you'll still be dragging that 220KB polyfill around.

• 4 months later...