You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - iPad Two-Finger Canvas Rotation Gesture

For canvas rotation, it is necessary to select the canvas rotation tool (other apps simply use the two finger gesture for rotation). This is extremely annoying, when drawing with the Apple Pen, because it holds up the workflow big time. Would I be using paper, I would rotate the drawing pad with my left hand, while drawing with the right. At the moment I would have to rotate the iPad for that, which is not possible, as the iPad rests on a stand to provide a comfortable drawing angle. So at the moment, using the canvas rotation tool is like putting away the pencil, rotating the drawing pad, picking up the pencil and draw again. A total waste of time and a huge interference with the workflow. Also, the brushes are set back to default, every time I am switching tools, so after rotating the canvas, I have to customize my brushes again, after every rotation action (I have no use for a pencil with a 43px tip). It is NOT possible to save brush settings with the Assistant or in any other way, as indicated in the manual. It is also not possible to duplicate brushes, which is a shame.

Also, resting the hand on the display, while using the Apple Pen, occasionally interferes with the pen's actions, carrying out unwanted actions - which is a no-go. Please change that.

This is such a fundamental feature which cannot be relegated to a tool, it's specially necesssry for drawing; from what I've noticed with other apps is that there is a slight delay before the rotation is actually enabled...to avoid that issue... I'm sure u guys will crack the code for this, but yes it's super important given the innate tactility of the iPad experience as well as other competing products have the feature...

We tried adding this early in the beta of Photo on iPad but it was too easy to rotate by accident. We moved the functionality to the rotate canvas tool until we can find a more reliable method of detection.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

We tried adding this early in the beta of Photo on iPad but it was too easy to rotate by accident. We moved the functionality to the rotate canvas tool until we can find a more reliable method of detection.

Procreate has a nice solution where the canvas snaps within 5° (or something like that) of any 90° angle. Maybe something like that would work? Makes it really easy to reset the canvas rotation.

Procreate has a nice solution where the canvas snaps within 5° (or something like that) of any 90° angle. Maybe something like that would work? Makes it really easy to reset the canvas rotation.

Agreed, Procreate' canvas rotation gesture implementation is a great solution. Please consider adding this, it makes drawing far more efficient. Thanks, and great app! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another question: I’m working with RAW files from a Nikon D1 (circa August 2000). Since the camera did not offer auto rotation I import the RAW file from iCloud, adjust the file in the Develope Module, hand tool to rotate, two finger swip 90 degrees, Export back to iCloud, save image from files, open the image in PHOTOSdotAPP and the image still needs rotating. Is it necessary to lock the rotation in Affinity?

• Staff

Hi Santasimage,

The Rotate Canvas Tool only rotates the canvas for viewing purposes (so you can get a more comfortable position when painting for example). It doesn't actually change (rotate) the document orientation. To do what you want tap the Document icon on the top and and select Orientation ▸ Rotate Left/Right.

• 1 month later...