You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad import RAW from Photo library

Potxotxo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

To all readers. This problem is being addressed as we speak. The developers think that they have a solution and if it passes testing this fix will be put into a release build very quickly. We appreciate that this is not a situation that customers want to continue for long.

Great news Patrick! Thank you for the feedback :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2017-06-14 at 6:14 AM, Wetterhoun said:

As a work around, I use the free PhotoFast One app to copy

Awesome news! :)

As a workaround I use the free PhotoFast One app to copy RAW photos from my Photo Library to my iCloud drive, without the need for WiFi or 4g. You can also do this with the Readdle Document app, but that one does not preview your RAW photos. The PhotoFast One (PFO) app does previews of the most common RAW photo formats. You can even flag, tag, comment, favorite your photos in the PFO app, which is quite handy.

I tried both PhotoFast One and Readdle, both just copied The file to iCloud Drive. In AP, opened it, but does not show it is raw.  I think it is jpeg. 

Krist - the latest version of Affinity Photo for iPad (1.6.3) together with the latest iOS release (10.3.3) renders the workarounds unnecessary - RAW photos (.NEF in my case) imported into Apple Photos via the Lightning SD Card Reader are now "seen" by Affinity Photo for iPad and are opened directly in the Develop persona.

Thanks again to the Affinity team for quickly resolving this issue.

10 hours ago, yusha said:

The issue was resolved for all except stacking though, which still import JPG from the RAW. I hope they didn't miss it or that it is not a limitation.

Currently importing RAW in "New Stack", as little as 2 x 12 Mb files, crashes the app every time.

@Patrick Connor

Does this crash occur on the latest beta?

Affinity Photo for iPad - 1.6.4 (Beta 6)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/45380-affinity-photo-for-ipad-164-beta-6/

16 hours ago, yusha said:

The issue was resolved for all except stacking though, which still import JPG from the RAW. I hope they didn't miss it or that it is not a limitation.

Currently importing RAW in "New Stack", as little as 2 x 12 Mb files, crashes the app every time.

@Patrick Connor

Agree that stacking uses JPG and not RAW.

Regarding importing though, I've successfully imported 3 x 25MB .NEF files using "New Stack" without a problem (although as mentioned earlier it seems it's the JPG part of the file that's imported, despite the RAW files being selected for import). I'm using a 64GB iPad Air 2 with Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.3 and iOS 11 beta 5. 

54 minutes ago, John49 said:

Agree that stacking uses JPG and not RAW.

Regarding importing though, I've successfully imported 3 x 25MB .NEF files using "New Stack" without a problem (although as mentioned earlier it seems it's the JPG part of the file that's imported, despite the RAW files being selected for import). I'm using a 64GB iPad Air 2 with Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.3 and iOS 11 beta 5. 

If you import the NEF file from iOS photo gallery in stacking, you'll end up with the JPG.

Try copying a few NEFs to iCloud first, then import them in Affinity Photo in the stack mode, this time it'll import the actual RAW file.

Then, I presume you'll experience the crash!

1 hour ago, yusha said:

If you import the NEF file from iOS photo gallery in stacking, you'll end up with the JPG.

Try copying a few NEFs to iCloud first, then import them in Affinity Photo in the stack mode, this time it'll import the actual RAW file.

You're quite right. My normal workflow is to dump my NEFs on to my Synology NAS, process them in Affinity, then output JPG versions to Apple Photos. Trying to stack the NEFs imported from my NAS causes a crash, as you reported. It's the first time I tried a stack. Importing NEFs in this way for panoramas ("New Panorama" in Affinity) works fine so I (wrongly!) assumed that all would be ok with stacks.

On 8/17/2017 at 3:31 AM, yusha said:

Can you post the instructions on how to reproduce this bug on iPad bugs because affinity photo is no longer in beta.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Concerning the ability to perform raw editing on images from the photo library, I‘ve found there to be a very odd behaviour when those raws have been synced to the iPad via photo library.

I‘ll try to describe the problem:

When i plug the camera into the iPad via the USB Camera Adapter, I can import RAW files into the photo library and edit them as RAW files in AP. With iCloud syncing turned on, those RAW files are also synced to my Macbook, where I can also edit them if i choose to. So, as long as you use the iPad to bring the files in, all is fine.

But, when I plug the camera into the Macbook, and import the RAW files there, it doesn‘t work like that. Obviously I can edit them on the Macbook without problems, but via iCloud the files are also synced to the iPad, they even are marked as RAW files in the AP import screen. But when I open those RAW files with AP on the iPad, AP takes me directly into Photo Persona, and the file is not recognized as a RAW file.

I‘ve tried this with multiple files and sizes, the outcome is always the same: RAW files that were moved onto the iPad via the USB cable can be edited as RAWs on the iPad, while files that got onto the iPad via iCloud syncing can not. Either way around, AP on the Macbook recognizes the files as RAWs properly, no matter how they got into the photo library.

Can someone explain this to me? Am I doing something wrong on the iPad?

Maybe someone could try to reproduce this, so we would know if this is just me, or if it concerns all of us trying to edit RAWs on the iPad, that were synced via iCloud.

Thank you! =)

Aloha,

its because how Apple has the image in the cloud. It will show that the original file was a RAW file. The only way to then edit that file as RAW, you will need to make sure it downloads the full version to your IPad. 

For me I prefer to just open the file and make a duplicate. This will download the file as RAW. It will then show up as a recent item in my Photo library. This way I know it is the Raw file and not the compressed from the cloud. Then open AP and import from there. 

If you are using the full option on icloud iCloud and link to your iCloud desktop. I would just load all your RAW format files to a folder there. Name it RAW Photos to work. Then have sub folders such Industial. So if you are out shooting industrial scenes all those shots go there. 

Now all gou have to do is open AP from IPad go to ICloud Desktop and import the file from there. The cloud will not compress the file that way. 

The native Photo app for Apple will always show you the compressed version until you download it. 

Aloha to you too Keahi,

thanks for the quick reply. I did not know, that RAW files are handled this way by the iCloud syncing process.

Making a duplicate seems to store a copy of the file locally, just like you said, and everything works like a charm =)

Pity, that this workaround is needed anyway. It would be cool to seamlessly edit RAWs on whatever machine and having the data synced to iCloud.

Thanks again for the help!

Mahalo ;)