You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad import RAW from Photo library

One more vote for direct RAW import from the Photos library. I congratulate you for developing this full featured editing app and I am enticed to use it. I presently utilize LR mobile and love the ability to go back and forth between my iPad Pro (256GB) and my desktop. I can download raw files to my iPad, import the raw files directly from Photos, do editing in LR Mobile and then continue editing on the desktop because certain edit features are still not available on LR Mobile. Affinity for IPad potentially eliminates having to go to the desktop. But the inability to bring in raw photos directly from iPad Photos is a big disappointment for me.

I bought an iPad Pro for cartoon drawing, but most importantly photo editing on the go. I have been trying to push Adobe into making an iPad (Pro) version of PhotoShop CC since the iPad Pro came out. The hardware is absolutely fast enough, but they do not seem to listen. ...And then I discovered your app this morning! Instant buy!

WOW! Thanks for this magnificent app! Impressed. You proof it is possible to run Pro level photo editing software, with a great and easy to use user interface, on the iPad (Pro).

This app has only one single, but VERY BIG CON for me. You can't import RAW photos from the Photo Library. I can only import Photos on my iPad from my SDcard into the Photo Library. If Affinity Photo could import RAW photos from the iPads Photo Library, I can use my iPad as only photo editing hardware, even when I am out and about and when there is no WiFi or 4G around. It can be done! Lightroom Mobile and Snapseed are proof it is possible to do this. If you make this possible, you'll make this great app LEGENDARY. ...And you release me from the Adobe prison!

That's it. Now I'll go back to learning all the ins and outs of this app... See you later.

Firstly, excellent job on the app.  The best I've ever used and it's given me another use for my iPad other than being a kindle.

This really should have been a day one feature though.  I want to use this out and about, so today I bought the camera connection kit but disappointed that Photo can't import raw from iOS photos.  Other apps can so it's not an iOS API limitation.

I'm curious to know why it's not a day one feature, some technical reason or simply overlooked?

+1 we need this

One more vote for direct RAW import from the Photos library. I congratulate you for developing this full featured editing app and I am enticed to use it. I presently utilize LR mobile and love the ability to go back and forth between my iPad Pro (256GB) and my desktop. I can download raw files to my iPad, import the raw files directly from Photos, do editing in LR Mobile and then continue editing on the desktop because certain edit features are still not available on LR Mobile. Affinity for IPad potentially eliminates having to go to the desktop. But the inability to bring in raw photos directly from iPad Photos is a big disappointment for me.

I have that exact same workflow. It's very nice for on the go use. You usually don't have a solid internet connection when traveling and you certainly don't have a computer with you to import files to and then upload them to the cloud to then be able to import the files into affinity, it's a really strange decision to force people to sync files to the cloud to be able to edit them when this app is made for people who are on the go. If you have a connection that's solid enough to upload a full days shoot of raw files then you're probably not on the go at all.

Being able to do everything offline is essential and therefore I'm forced to stick with my Lightroom mobile workflow as of now. I don't have to rely on fast internet and other devices than the iPad. I guess I could import the files to my iPad, then send them to the cloud from the iPad and then import them from there but that still requires a fast internet connection which is impossible to come by when traveling and requires an extra step which is very unnecessary.

Another thing I enjoy with Lightroom that's not available in affinity photo is the ability to import several photos at once, that's a really important feature when shooting brackets to create hdrs.

I've emailed the support about this feature and they said that they've flagged it as a "to do" but have no ETA.

I'm just so confused about this decision. They make an app for on the go use and then render using it on the go impossible.

I've emailed the support about this feature and they said that they've flagged it as a "to do" but have no ETA.

I'm just so confused about this decision. They make an app for on the go use and then render using it on the go impossible.

Well, I'll hope they fix it very, very soon. Preferably before the summer holidays, or i'll be hauling my old and heavy laptop with me this summer... If it doen't die first... I was totally flabbergasted and disappointed that this was not in the initial release. Like a Ferrari that is only allowed to drive 50km/h on a race track...

Nevertheless, good to hear it is coming!

This is a really important feature to add, for one critical reason: storage optimization. For people with iCloud Photo Library, the photos app is perhaps the best way to keep their library accessibility, but also off device. I can view and organize everything without have to fully download all my RAW photos. Moving my library to the files app doesn't make sense, because I lose the ability view them easily.

Please serif, add this feature ASAP!

Well, I'll hope they fix it very, very soon. Preferably before the summer holidays, or i'll be hauling my old and heavy laptop with me this summer... If it doen't die first... I was totally flabbergasted and disappointed that this was not in the initial release. Like a Ferrari that is only allowed to drive 50km/h on a race track...

Nevertheless, good to hear it is coming!

Yeah, that's why I'm upset, I'm on my summer holiday now in Bali. Ah well, I guess you can't expect everything to work straight away..

I've been able to get Nikon RAW files onto my iPad using an app called Transfer. I upload the files from my desktop to the iPad. Once on the iPad I have no trouble opening the RAW file in Affinity Photo. I can also use the Apple SD card reader to import RAW files to the iPad.

Bit of a workaround is to import to iOS Photos app however you do normally (camera connection kit for me) but then I'm using another app called Photo Manager Pro 5 (£2.99 on App Store). I can import the raw from iOS Photos into Photo Manager then from Photo Manager when viewing the raw click "Open In" and you should see affinity photo. Click on affinity photo and the raw will open.

I have noticed however that sometimes the exposure sliders etc in develop persona are missing and not available, completely closing photo and opening again will resolve that. I'm not sure if that's a known bug to affinity or not.

Can now open my RAW files imported straight from camera without PC and/or cloud.

Affinity still need to make a direct import from Photos work though :-P

I wanted to expand on my workflow needs as further feedback. Affinity Photo for iPad has caused me to rethink my post-processing workflow and the potential for an entirely mobile workflow is exciting to me. I bought my iPad Pro with 256GB precisely because I intended to use it to process raw photos using the Adobe mobile apps. Unfortunately Apple makes access to raw photos difficult but I sure Serif will resolve the issue. Apple also makes file management on an iOS device extremely difficult. For me my workflow is not complete until my original images are backed up in 2 places. By using Lightroom Mobile, the raw images are synced back to an external drive attached to my desktop and that drive is automatically synced to a cloud service (CrashPlan). If I go to a mobile only post-processing, I am struggling with how I automate the back-up of my raw photos. Dropbox, iCloud, etc. all sync back to the desktop and fill my hardrive. Affinity for iPad has all the post-processing capability I would ever need but file management may keep me from using it.

I wanted to expand on my workflow needs as further feedback. Affinity Photo for iPad has caused me to rethink my post-processing workflow and the potential for an entirely mobile workflow is exciting to me. I bought my iPad Pro with 256GB precisely because I intended to use it to process raw photos using the Adobe mobile apps. Unfortunately Apple makes access to raw photos difficult but I sure Serif will resolve the issue. Apple also makes file management on an iOS device extremely difficult. For me my workflow is not complete until my original images are backed up in 2 places. By using Lightroom Mobile, the raw images are synced back to an external drive attached to my desktop and that drive is automatically synced to a cloud service (CrashPlan). If I go to a mobile only post-processing, I am struggling with how I automate the back-up of my raw photos. Dropbox, iCloud, etc. all sync back to the desktop and fill my hardrive. Affinity for iPad has all the post-processing capability I would ever need but file management may keep me from using it.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19494-which-ipad-pro/?p=90977

maybe one day ...  :wub:  :P  :)

but for professional use you'll just need a computer for the time being, or can an iPad restore the backup of your iPad or such does it have a shell? Don't think all cloud is really feasible although cloud is great for many things 

cheers 

Bit of a workaround is to import to iOS Photos app however you do normally (camera connection kit for me) but then I'm using another app called Photo Manager Pro 5 (£2.99 on App Store). I can import the raw from iOS Photos into Photo Manager then from Photo Manager when viewing the raw click "Open In" and you should see affinity photo. Click on affinity photo and the raw will open.

I have noticed however that sometimes the exposure sliders etc in develop persona are missing and not available, completely closing photo and opening again will resolve that. I'm not sure if that's a known bug to affinity or not.

Can now open my RAW files imported straight from camera without PC and/or cloud.

Affinity still need to make a direct import from Photos work though :-P

Maybe the slider problem is to do with affinity photo itself and not the app you used to import the files? Does that app let you import several items at once into affinity?

Maybe the slider problem is to do with affinity photo itself and not the app you used to import the files? Does that app let you import several items at once into affinity?

Yea, the slider problem is a separate bug Affinity know about. Apparently caused if you open a RAW but don't commit the changes and then try to open another RAW

Nope, unfortunately you can't import several at once with that app.  I'm assuming you want this for HDR, stacking etc.  The way affinity does this uses an iOS extension called Document Provider.  I was hoping that app had implemented it, but sadly not.

Yea, the slider problem is a separate bug Affinity know about. Apparently caused if you open a RAW but don't commit the changes and then try to open another RAW

Nope, unfortunately you can't import several at once with that app.  I'm assuming you want this for HDR, stacking etc.  The way affinity does this uses an iOS extension called Document Provider.  I was hoping that app had implemented it, but sadly not.

Well yeah, in part. In Lightroom I always pick my favorites from a shoot and Import all of them. Some pictures might have been underexposed on purpose so you want to quickly raise the shadows before deciding if it's a keeper when rating etc. I scroll through all photos and make quick adjustments all in Lightroom mobile at the moment.

I've heard you can't hdr or stack raw files in affinity for iPad, is that correct?

Completely Ridiculous, Googles Snapseed, which is free by the way, can take RAWs directly from Photos app.  But this "advanced" photo editing app can't? .... :blink:

Really would have thought Serif would have taken a note from Apple and observed its competitors along side its software development

The ability to import RAW files into Affinity from Photos is, in my opinion, of huge importance. It is obviously doable as several apps from other software houses demonstrate.

Another alternative, although possibly more difficult, would be to import the RAW files directly from the SD card/USB/camera dongles when plugged into the Lightning port.

Now that iOS 11 has been released to developers, it is an ideal opportunity for the Affinity developers to address this issue and also ensure tight integration with the new "Files" app.

Come on guys - you have a good product that could be made great with a few comparatively minor tweaks.

Is there a companion DAM app on the horizon??

I think all the Photos app integration / raw importing and so forth are a real issue for many of us users trying to make really good use of this amazing app.  Is there any chance that someone from Serif can post here an answer to these questions? Is there any roadmap you are following or will follow to implement a true integration with Photos? Maybe in the weeks ahead now that iOS 11 has already been released for developers?

Please, please, let us know! It is a key feature for many of us, a deal breaker actually.

Aside from all this: Congratulations! You have created a hell of a great App.  Keep the good work, please :)

• Staff

Potxotxo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

To all readers. This problem is being addressed as we speak. The developers think that they have a solution and if it passes testing this fix will be put into a release build very quickly. We appreciate that this is not a situation that customers want to continue for long.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

As a work around, I use the free PhotoFast One app to copy

Potxotxo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

To all readers. This problem is being addressed as we speak. The developers think that they have a solution and if it passes testing this fix will be put into a release build very quickly. We appreciate that this is not a situation that customers want to continue for long.

Awesome news! :)

As a workaround I use the free PhotoFast One app to copy RAW photos from my Photo Library to my iCloud drive, without the need for WiFi or 4g. You can also do this with the Readdle Document app, but that one does not preview your RAW photos. The PhotoFast One (PFO) app does previews of the most common RAW photo formats. You can even flag, tag, comment, favorite your photos in the PFO app, which is quite handy.