You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI,

Sometimes when I try to group 2 items (or more..) they seem to disappear...

I can find them suddenly some place else in the document but when I try to place them back in place - they just disappear...

I can see them in the layers panel - but I can't make them appear on my artboard.

strange...

Can you help me with that? is that a bug? or I'm doing something wrong?...

Thanks!

Avishag

• Staff

Hi Avishag,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Are any of the objects outside of the ArtBoard when you group them? If they are then once they have been grouped they will disappear and then reappear when you drag the group over the Artboard.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Avishag, check the View > Studio > Constraints panel. Select the objects that went missing in the Layers panel and set the constraints to the default by clicking the dashed lines inside the panel until all you have is the two arrows inside the middle square lit up, and the ones outside off (dashed).

Avishag, check the View > Studio > Constraints panel. Select the objects that went missing in the Layers panel and set the constraints to the default by clicking the dashed lines inside the panel until all you have is the two arrows inside the middle square lit up, and the ones outside off (dashed).

Thanks! it works!

:)

• 2 years later...

Well, that might have worked then, but there is no "constraints" panel under View > Studio >  and it makes no sense that simply grouping together items should cause them to disappear. I group items so that I can make quick changes to a grouped set, and perhaps hide them form time to time. Unclear why the default behaviour is to say, "hmm, the user wants to associate these things, let's just make them disappear instead." Goes counter to every design software out there, and not just adobe.

@MauricioC, which Affinity app are you using? The Constraints studio panel is a feature of Affinity Designer, so if you are using Affinity Photo you won't have it.

If objects seem to be disappearing & they are vector objects, make sure they have at least either a stroke or fill (if not both), otherwise they will not be visible on the canvas unless selected. Also check that the layer blend mode is not set to Erase, or to some other mode that would affect their visibility.

Since there is no default behavior that makes anything invisible, if these tips don't help it would be advisable to post a sample file with this issue so we can see what might be causing it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

I know this is my mode of thinking and probably not AD, but was making a wireframe and was grouping arrows. absolutely fine

Then put that group inside another group and *POOF* it went away - visibly. So I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing and would love to learn what and how, please?

I'm including the file with this post.

Many thanks and I'm ready to go red with embarrassment!

Lawrence

CSO outline.afdesign

Regards,

Lawrence

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

so what I've done is create a mask, using the rounded square?

You 'Clipped' the arrows. Clip is like a mask. To avoid this I use the keyboard shortcut Command + G to make groups instead of dragging in the layers panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Jeskah36 said:

How do I not "insert Inside"

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Please provide more details of what you're doing, and perhaps a screenshot including the Layers panel to help clarify.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...