wgphoto

Noise filter not working

I tried creating a 50% gray layer set to soft light and then applying 50% Gaussian monochrome noise, but it did not show up at all. Even set to 100%, nothing.

iPad Pro 12.9 3rd Gen/Mac Mini, in that order

Did you rasterize the layer before applying the noise?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Hi wgphoto

This seems to be working fine for me in general here. What zoom level are viewing the image at? The noise has a dynamic preview so you may need to zoom into the image to see how the filter will apply. If this not the case would you be able to give i bit more information about your process such as image type, colour space, any opacity settings iPad specs etc.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi wgphoto,

As verysame as indicated, you need to ensure you are applying the filter to a raster layer rather than vector one. Alternatively you can click the 'Lightning' icon on the Adjustment to convert it to a live filter. This can then be placed above your vector layer and you should see the noise. See attached screenshot.

post-37-0-73611600-1496747684_thumb.png

Hi wgphoto,

As verysame as indicated, you need to ensure you are applying the filter to a raster layer rather than vector one. Alternatively you can click the 'Lightning' icon on the Adjustment to convert it to a live filter. This can then be placed above your vector layer and you should see the noise. See attached screenshot.

Maybe I'm not getting the process. In the Mac version, I create a new pixel layer, fill it with 50% gray and apply noise to the layer. Then I set the blend mode of that layer. In the iPad version, I'm assuming new fill layer is actually new vector layer. This should change to match desktop version to avoid confusion. What is the proper order of doing this in iPad version as there does not seem to be a fill command that I can see. I don't seem to have that opacity slider, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

post-10521-0-27232000-1496764508_thumb.png

The Opacity slider appears if you make it a Live Filter (by clicking the lightning button). However I've just tried it after filling a pixel layer with grey and it works. I would double check your pixel layer is selected when applying the noise. I will record a video to show you the process I used from interpreting what you've done. I think I will also need to see a screenshot of your Layers Studio as well.

AddNoise.mov

Thank you, the video was very helpful. I've never used the paint bucket tool in the desktop version, but a fill command, so that's where the disconnect was. As it happens, I found a workaround between my last post and this one. I created a fill layer, changed it to 50% gray, then rasterized it and applied noise. I like your way better, but maybe a fill command would be handy to bring further parity to the desktop version. Great work on initial release and subsequent questions and such.