You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi again! I am still making my way through all of the Help documentation. I have reached the area on range pixel selections. I can't make the Color Range or Tonal Range selections work. I have selected an image (pixel) layer. But, when I try to use the tool, it doesn't work. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Screen_Capt.mov

Well... I have found out the answer to why it didn't work. But, I don't understand why the why existed. Confused? Me too. Let me explain...

When I moved on to the next section (Sampled Color Pixel Selections), the Assistant rasterized the photo for me. Now all of the selection tools are working. However, the photo was a JPG. Maybe I am just grossly misinformed, but I understand a rasterized object to be one that is pixel-based. I thought that JPG files were already rasterized by the nature of the file format.

That being said, I know that in the future if I have this issue, I can manually rasterize the image and continue with no issues. I just want to understand the reasoning behind this issue.

• Staff

Ahh.... that makes some sense now... Basically, the photo you've got in your document is made from pixels, but it isn't at that point an editable raster object in the document - it's still just a photo so you need to do the extra step of rasterising it and turning it into a raster object in the document. I'm not 100% certain it's a good requirement though and maybe it would make more sense if we auto-rasterized and informed the user at the point they try to perform those operations. Sorry about the confusion...